Neurology Community
Heart speed

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Heart speed

I have had a fast heart rate for a long time now, and am wondering if i should really be concerned about it or not?  My heart rate is usually around 120 bpm but often is in the 200's. I don't really know if this is abnormal or not. I am 17 years old and weigh a normal amount for my height. Also other than my hearts speed, it also pounds very hard. I can see my clothing vibrating with my heart beat.I get shocks in my head too if my heart is fast. I'm short of breath a lot and get tired out easily. About half a year ago i was given a diagnosis of "Nutcracker syndrome". I had a surgery for this on my renal vein going to my kidney because it wasn't getting enough blood. So I thought maybe it could have something to do with that or be related to that but i have no idea. I've been jumping to all sorts of conclusions and get ideas in my head that something really serious could be wrong with me! Does anyone have any ideas??
Tags: Heart, speed
Sounds like an arrythmia. I suggest you see a cardiologist for a heart workup to find out what is going on.
A resting heart rate 100+ is definitely something to see a doctor about.  A healthy person should have a resting rate in the 60's.  Spikes up to 200 are severe and put great strain on your heart.  Considering that you have already been diagnosed with a circulation problem, you definitely need to talk to a doctor, probably a cardiologist, and don't trivialize the symptoms.

I have had a pounding heart and heart rate spikes between 130 and 155 as part of my Lyme Disease and it's terrifying. I was worried about arrythmia or heart failure. I can't imagine what 200 feels like. My doctor put me on a beta blocker which brought my resting rate down to 80-90.

Perhaps wearing a halter monitor for a day would give your doctor a better idea of what's going on.
Wow i guess my heart is going faster than normal then. Well thanks for the advice, i hope i can get to a doctor soon then!