Neurology Community
Help! Scar on bridge of nose

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Help! Scar on bridge of nose

I fell recently and cut my nose badly, I was left with a scab for two weeks. After the two week healing period the scab fell off and I was left with a indented scar on the bridge of my nose. I have been using bio oil for the past six weeks but it seems the scar is to deep for the oil to have an effect. My self-esteem wasn't the greatest before this happened but now I feel incredibly self conscious.  

Are there any cosmetic surgeries which can help improve the appearance of the scar permanently?

Tags: scar, nose, bridge, surgery, Healing, feel, help
I think you should ask your question to the "Dermatology" forum, they have all kinds of questions in there about skin damage.  But to answer your question as best I can, yes, cosmetic surgery can cover up many appearance issues, particularly something minor like what you have, but at great cost.

I also want to say something about how self-concious you are.  Things like this are always relative, and that is to say that what is minor to someone else may be quite serious for you.  So, let us say the plastic surgeon doesn't think it's worth the trouble to fix your scar.  What then?  Let me tell you something that one day you will learn, but now you'll get to learn it sooner.  

The appearance of a person, while important, is not the best way to promote self-esteem.  Rather it is what kind of person you are.  If you think you are not very interesting, perhaps, then take up hobbies that will make you interesting, like art, music, and physical activity like swimming or horseback riding.  There are clubs of people who like doing the same things, they are fun and develop self-esteem.  If you think you are not smart enough, make it your mission to choose three subjects you are interested in, like medieval history, astronomy, or ithe Middle East, and read everything you can get your hands on about your chosen three subjects.  Go at it methodically, take some college courses in them, check books out of the library on your subjects, and become very knowledgeable.  If you are physicaly awkward, then take dancing lessons or learn how to play tennis or get into hiking.  

But appearance, gosh, you are born with what you are born with.  I mean, look at some photographs of yourself, especially family snapshots.  Just how bad do you look?  If you were the opposite sex, would you find yourself attractive?  I remember when I got a LOT older, I saw an old family movie of myself coming out of the ocean and up onto the beach, and I realized just how attractive I was at that age!!!  What a fool I was!  If only I had known!

If you can correct something, like how your hair is styled, or the clothes you wear, or even a sparkle in your eye will come from eating very healthy and exercise.  But in the end, there are some marginally attractive people that on first glance, you might not be attracted to, but as soon as they open their mouths to talk, they become very attractive.  So, try not to let this silly scar that nobody is really going to take notice of, since just about everybody has scars somewhere on them.  People are more interested in how pulled together you are, your self-confidence, what you know and what you do, and how kind you are to others, how happy you are.  Try to look outward more, become interested in other people and what they are saying, listen more, do not internalize so much.  Be active, get enough sleep, eat well, study and do fun things, and ain't nobody gonna see that scar.  Besides, I think scars are kind of neat, tells me they must be tough, somehow.  

Totally agree with ggreg.

I have so many small scars here and there on my body from injuries, child-bearing and surgeries.  I am learned this is pretty much proof that I have lived life and they DON'T define me and who I am.  

Nowadays, people are too interested in looking for the "perfect" this and that.  In reality, no one will ever be perfect even after tons of cosmetic surgery.

Keep your money in regards to a Plastic surgeon.....he/she might even chuckle a bit because you consulted him/her about a small scar.  Sounds like the scar is superficial and a Derm probably can do something about it, however, I don't think the scar is the issue here.  
Thanks a lot ggreg, that was a great reply! :) The more I think about it I can see that you are right! I think I may have used this small problem to shy away from reality. I definitely feel there is things that I want to achieve in life and buy pursuing them and working hard I can grow in confidence & develop as a person.

Thanks for the clarity and motivation :)

Dear ggreg,
Thanks for the advice on the scar situation, im gonna choose two more hobbies to add to my first one :)
I fell and cut the bridge of my nose last nite! Whilst worried about if i will get a scar, your narrative quite clearly puts it into context!! There are better things worth worrying about in life!! Always look on the bright side :)

As.