Neurology Community
Help on cervical herniated disk

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Help on cervical herniated disk

It's been about 2 months since the initial pain in my neck. could not set my head on a pillow and the pain traveled across my chest through my shouler down my upper back and down my right arm. Lost strenght in my pinky and ring finger.
Ortho sent me for an mri and report states c7-t1 level there is a large right sided disc heneation with superior extrution. This effaces the anterior subarachnoid spaceand impringes on the anterior aspect of the cord on the right side. Also causes marked impringement upon the right sided c8 nerve root sleeve.
At the c6-c7 level there is in bony ridge seen on the left side which partially effaces the anterior subaranoid space it does cause impringement uon the left c7 nerve sleeve.
c5-c6 level there is a small bony ridge present resulting in only mild spinal stenosis.
At all other lvels of cervical spine. extending from c4-c5 to the c2-c3 level the intervertebral disks are normal.
the cranicocervical junction is normal.
The cord shows no evidence for astrophy, contusion, or cyst formation.
Dr told me to get cordosone shots at another facility i am not sure about this I am doing PT but does not seem to help. Steroids helped with the neck i can move it now. My arm is hurting and fingers have no strenght. I am still working. I am going to philadelphia in 2 weeks for a second opinion. I have not seen a neorologist yet. Am i making a mistake by not doing cortosone shots? By waiting am i doing more damage to nerves?
Thanks for any help
Epidural steroid injections can help to reduce the pain when the  nerve roots are being irritated but the longer the nerves and spinal cord are compressed, the greater the risk for permanent damage.  I've been through exactly what you describe.  PT just aggravated the symptoms and the ESI's did nothing for the symptoms being caused by the cord compression.  I would suggest that you get opinions from at least 3 well known/highly recommended Spinal Ortho Surgeons and/or Neurosurgeons.  Cord compression is not something to ignore.  My Spinal Ortho Surgeon pretty much let me know that it could take just one good rear-end accident and the cord could be severed.  If your MRI looks as bad as the report seems to state, then I'm thinking that you may be a candidate for ACDF or ADR surgery.  Surgeons don't operate for pain, but they do operate to correct neurological and stability problems in the spine.

They should do an EMG/NCS just to re-affirm that your symptoms correlate to each level of the spine that is showing compression and stenosis.

It sounds like you have DDD, which once you have a fusion surgery , it can accelerate degeneration of ther spinal segmrnts.  This is what is known as the domino effect.  The levels above and below the fusion carry more of a load with motion and increases their risk of damage.  

Best wishes,

Kim

Kim

Thanks for any help
Going to Philadelphia Wed Jan 3rd to see Dr. Simeone neurosurgeon i'll let you know how it goes. My arm and fingers are still a mess loss of stenght in right hand and still have chest and neck pains. If i knew it would o away after 6 months or so i would put up with it but i don't want to cause further damage.