Neurology Community
Help understanding my MRI report

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Help understanding my MRI report

I am a 30 year old female suffering from neck and back pain every day.  I had some boxes fall on me striking me in the head, neck and upper back about two months ago.  I had a cervical MRI done about two weeks ago and this is what it shows, but I don't understand it and don't understand if any of it could be caused by trauma.  The symptoms I have been having that caused me to seek medical attention are numbness at the base of my neck, severe pain in my right shoulder which travels down my arm to my elbow, pain, tingling and burning that starts in my neck and travel down past and under my shoulder blades on both side but predominantly on the right.  I have also had 2 thoracic MRIs done in the past 1.5 years which show 4 mild bulging discs (one of which in new) and mild scoliosis with convexity to the right.  

Can anyone tell me what the results of this most recent cervical MRI mean? And if they could be a result of trauma to the area?

"There is a cervicothoracic scoliosis with convexity to the
right. There is reversal of the normal lordosis, the apex of the
reversible curve being at C4-5. The spinal cord has normal size and
signal. Vertebral body stature and signal are normal. The intervertebral
disk spaces have a normal appearance. The visualized structures and the
posterior fossa are normal.

At C5-6 there is a mild disk osteophyte impression on the left
intervertebral foramen with mild left-sided foraminal stenosis.
Otherwise the interspaces have a normal appearance."

Thank you so much!
At c5-c6 there is mild left intervertebral foramen with mild-left sided foraminal stenosis. The only real area on your mri I would see any connection to the pain your having.  I'm no dr, just giving my own personal opinion. What conservative methods have you tried for it?
Hi, Thank you very much for your question. Your reports suggest that there is slight convexity at cervical spine along with osteophytes formation that can cause nerve impingement. Osteophytes are new bone formation and this occurs when vertebrae degenerate and loose shock absorbing capacity. Therefore, osteophytes formation may be associated with nerve compression and requires a doctor’s opinion for medications or surgery. You may also experience pain, numbness, tingling, and weakness in extremities or neck. I would suggest consulting a neurologist as well in order to reach at probable diagnosis here. Hope this information proves helpful to you.
Thank you both for the information.  I have been in physical therapy for 5 weeks, and the exercises they have given me are helping with some of the weakness and tightness I experience, especially in my shoulder area.  I also have a TENS unit that I use at home and work which offers some relief and have been prescribed vicodin and flexeril.  I am a legal secretary and do a LOT of computer work and sit for most of my work day which seems to make the pain so much worse.

Could any of this have been caused by a traumatic injury or is it more likely from a sedentary job with a terrible chair, etc.

I do not get to see me doc until the 23rd to further discuss these things.  Also, a partially unrelated question is that I have not actually seen my doctor since any of this began (or for a long time prior to this problem).  I only ever get to see his physician's assitant. Shouldn't I be able to meet with the doctor occasionally too?

Thank you so, so much!