Neurology Community
Help understanding results, 2 more weeks till visit

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I would like some help understanding the results of my MRI of my cervical spine because I don't go to see my neurologist for another two weeks. My regular doctor made it seem like there was no issue, but from what I have researcher there is an issue. I would like some peace of mind in knowing what is causing my numbness in my left hand and arm and the left side of my body in general.

C3-4- a small central, left paracentral and foraminal disk protrusion is present which effaces the thecal sac anteriorly. There is an associated anular tear. Mild central canal stenosis is present with AP demension of the thecal sac measuring 9 mm. The left forminal componet of the disk protrusion does result in moderate left-sided foraminal narrowing.

C5-6- Moderate broad-based bilaterial paracentral disk protrusions are present, left side is worse that the right which effaces the thecal sac anteriorly. Disk material extends into the foraminal regions bilaterally resulting in moderate severe left and moderate right-sided foraminal narrowing.

C6-7- Very mild disk desiccation without significant bulge or protrusion. No neural encroachment is visualized

Not mentioned above, there is a partially visualized 9 mm T2 hyperintense lesion in the left lobe of the thyroid which may represent a cyst, but is not fully assessed.

Mind you I am only 32 years old 5'3" around 150 which over the last few years I have gained weight. No recent trauma and I have an identical twin who is not showing any signs of neck pain, which I recently starting having, but I had arm pain when I was 24, then in June of 2008 my left pinky and ring finger went numb and then I have boughts of numbness in my left and right hand and left leg and right foot.

Another question is do you believe I will need surgery to correct the issues or will they heal on their own?