Neurology Expert Forum
Hemangioma of a Vertebral Body

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hemangioma of a Vertebral Body

Re: Hemangioma of a Vertebral Body

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Neurology and Neurosurgery Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CCF MD mdf on March 20, 1998 at 11:22:23:

In Reply to: Hemangioma of a Vertebral Body posted by Diane on March 19, 1998 at 20:38:40:

: Three years ago I was in a car accident.  Besides multiple broken bones I suffered a first degree separation of my AC joint.  In July of 1997 I had  a Mumford decompression of my right AC joint.  Since then the pain has increased and now radiates from my neck to my wrist.  I have recently undergone a MRI of my neck, a full body bone scan and and EMG of my right arm and neck.  The cause of the pain is as yet undiagnosed but today the orthopedic surgeon recommended that I see a neurologist.  I intend to do that and don't expect a diagnosis via this format but the radiology report states that I have a hemangioma of the T-1 vertebral body.  What is this and what causes it and how serious is it.  Could this actually be a fractured vertebrae.  Would a fracture that is three years old show uptake in a bone scan?
  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
=
Good news.
Hemangiomas are common in vertebral bodies and are usually found incidentally while something else is investigated. They represent no threat and are not the cause of symptoms. They are not malignant. It's just a developmental "abnormality" and wouldn't be related to bone fracture.
Fracture of the vertebrae looks different on X-ray studies. MRI is not as good at picking up abnormalities of bone (but it is the test which shows the hemangiomas). If you had a compression fracture of any significance, the report would most likely have mentioned it.
I don't have the expertise to answer the question about the bone scan and an old fracture. Ask your orthopedist or an internist.
Hope this helps. This information is provided for educational purposes only. Any specific statements about your diagnosis, treatment options, and prognosis must come from your doctor. CCF MD mdf.