Neurology Expert Forum
Herniated Disks/ Testicle Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Herniated Disks/ Testicle Pain

Hello all, I went for an MRI which revealed a central disk herniation at L4-5 ans a bulge at L5-S1. I had been experiencing right testicular pain and leg/ankle pain since December 1998. Urologist put me on Cipro for 6 weeks with no improvement. Tried 3 weeks of Doxycycline - no improvement. I was diagnosed with bi-lateral Varicoceles. I opted for surgery in April of 1999. Pain did not improve. I have been going to physical therapy for the past 2 1/2 weeks for the disk problem. My right testicular pain is worse than ever. My therapist says there is a nerve at T12 that runs to the testicle. I'm not convinced that my disks are causing the pain. Could the surgery have worsened the pain? COuld the herniated disks be causing this pain? I'm reluctant to take more anti-botics. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Grant
Every anatomical structure below a given level in the spinal cord recieves nerve supply from a nerve root highwer up. This includes the genital area , so if a nerve supplying a given area is compromised , then pain will be felt radiating into this area.
Therefore it is very plausible that pain in the testicle is caused by nerve root compression.
I cannot tease out the various possibilities however on the basis of the information available, since varicocoeles can also cause tesiticular pain. If there is swelling and inflammation around the surgery site the pain can be potentially worse in the short term.
I too have had some similar pain.  Right tesitical and abdomen but the greatest pain is in the right butt cheeck and radiates down to the back of the knee and up to the right kidney.  It's excrutiating when I stand up and when I sit down...but once standing or sitting it's somewhat bearable.  My first pass through the doctors was to urologists - thinking that I had some sort of epididimyus or seminal vesiculitus.  The last uroligist I went to seemed convinced that it was a siatic (sciatic) nerve problem and that I should see a back speciatist.  What's the thinking here and is this type of problem curable?

OG
Hello, My name is Robert.  I found a discussion of your case on the internet.  

I am experiencing symptoms similar after hurting myself 5 weeks ago.  An ache in my abdomen and my testicles turned into a burning spasmodic pain in my abdomen and then a sharp spasmodic pain in both testicles, alternating but most often on the left side.  Also various pains in legs, buttocks, left foot.  Intermittent abdominal pain is spreading from left side, across front, to right side.  Can't sleep without pain medication, hurts even when laying still from breathing.

I'm trying to help my Dr.s to help me, and I am looking for information on the internet.  So far I've had a sonogram of my testicles (result - normal) and an MRI of my L spine.  The urologist seemed confident that the problem was most likely back related.  They've ruled out hernia (what I originally thought), testicular torsion, infection, tumors, etc...

The Pain Management Dr. is trying to help me, but suggested that testicular pain is not typical from herniated discs, and the work comp people might have a problem with it. I've been looking online and have found some supporting accounts of this.  So far an MRI shows a protrusion at L5 (I think that's what he said) but he says that it doesn't necessarily account for the burning pains that I've also had in my abdomen.  He is wants to schedule another MRI (to look at my mid-level spine and another sonogram)

Would anyone willing to tell me about your case, talk to me about this,  or offer any suggestions.
I also have testicular pain.  It spreads through my right hip and lower back. Three Doctors suggest that it's just nerves but no one seems interested in finding the cause. One even prescibed a psychotropic medication.  I tell ya, it's not in my head!  It has been chronic and constant for two years. It seems worse now. What tests should I ask to have done to find the cause?
I too have right testicle pain. I've had it for three years. I have a constant dull ache, which I try to ignore when at work. If I do activities that involve a stepping up movement(like going up stairs, walking up hills) the pain flares up to a brutal stabbing pain in my testicle. I also have the pain in the lower right abdomen on the right side. I have been examined by three urologists and two primary care physicians, and they all say I don't have a hernia. I went to a pain clinic at a Boston hospital and they were unable to help me. I read these forums and I know other men are suffering with the same symptoms. There must be some relief possible, some treatment I can pursue. The pain clinic doctor thought it was nerve related. I can feel the pain come through my abdomen. Some days I think it is back related because when I strained my back a couple of times the pain was referred to my testicle. Any suggestions? thanks. Greg
I agree with the Doctor. and I share yur pains, For almost a year now, I have been suffering from numb feet, hands and face following a 2 hour traumatic ordeal with a snake in my yard. The numbness was replaced by shooting stabbing pains in my face, hands, back, thighs, head and basically everywhere, almost everytime I move get a neeedle stab, I saw five neurologists and had 8 MRI of everything. (Brain, entire spine, pelvis, neck)
My life was hell. I refused to believe that this was all due to anxiety. Eventually, I began limping on my right leg. Ortho and neuro could not explain major weakness in my right extremity. Only 32 yrs old, 2 children. Also had the choking sensation in throat on and off, extreme fatigue and muscualr spasms, incredibly painful joint pains and crwaling sensations under my skin. For a while, I was wondering if there was a difference between this and hell. Believe it or not, the treatment was not by a pill or a surgery. A friend recommended reading: 'The mindbody prescription" by John Sarno. You must fully believe, no matter how strange it sounds that this is all works of the unconscious. The repressed rage and repressed anxiety often (in patients where no evidence of neurological damage) expresses iteself through neuro-musculo-skeletal pain. And here is the trick, everytime you get these pains, and they are real pains, trust me I know, you must tell your mind, speak to it, "I know your game my friend, these symptoms are not serious, and there is nothing wrong with me physically" You can beat this thing in a matter of weeks by deprogrammming yourself and resuming normal daily life and physical activity. The book will show you how it is so simple and it is simply a matter of confronting your unconscious that is lying to you and giving you physical pain (in the form of nerve/joint) pain to deceive you and turn you away from the real issue happening inside your soul -) I am almost positive that this will work for you. GET THE BOOK IT HAS CURED THOUSANDS I am not a 100% cured but I am 50% to 75% better in a matter of three weeks I have been living with this hell since last August...So of thinking physical think mental that is the trick - everytime you think physical think mental instead you will find that your symptoms increase WHEN you are anxious, when you are worried about your condition which in turn produces more physical pain/numbness/etc. which in turn make you more anxious then you become enraged at your doctors and/or more anxious about your disabiltiy then you begin to search on the internt under neurological disorders and you begin to see pictures of yourself in a wheel chair and so on. Freud, had cured this woman who was paralyzed for six years - turns out to be rage for the death of her two children. The mind, is capable of doing the worst things to you, why not, if you think about it it had developed the nuclear bomb, terminates people on a regular basis because of their color and religion, and on and on and on.. Think rage and not physical illness, think what was the last set of emotions you experienced before you get the pain. And believe me when I tell you that the brain thinks amazingly. If it knows you have a bulged disk, it will produce pain around that area and in your legs to make you think it is from the bulge it is, that is how powerful it is. Scientifically, a bulge disc does not produce physical pain. 3 out of 10 in the streets will have a bulge disc anbd not evcen know about it. Beware of your emotions, face yourself. Are you happy at what you do? Are you happy where you are? or who you are with. The doc, with all respect looks at your physical symptoms for 10 minutes max and will tell you what you don't have thank god (MS or or or) But the big picture is you. You are experiencing real horrible physical pains...I believe you, the numbness and the tingling and the fatigue and the choking and the dizziness and the vertigo and the back and the feet and eventually depression because no one knows what you have. Think about it: ALL NEUROLOGISTS WILL AGREE THAT THE ONLY THING THAT CONTROL THE NERVES OF THE FACE: FACIAL NUMBNESS/EYE NUMBNESS IS THE BRAIIIIIIIN ! " It has been told over and over to me. It is the same Brain that gives orders to your joints, muscles, nerves all over your body. The health of that brain was slightly shaken by an emotional, anxious, overwhelming by a stressful event or set of events. Only you know better. As soon, as we understand and fully accept this diagnosis our physical pains begin to subside and eventually disappear in a matter of weeks, because you are saying to your brain: "I know why you are causing the pain, and you cannot do this to me anymore becasue I am now aware of why you are causing it" You will notice that immediatley you will have less pains until you are pain free in a matter of weeks. Your mind realizes that you have discovered the cause of the problem. You have uncovered its hideous plan. It can no longer do it to you. It siezes the pain, progressively. But you must find out also what has caused that pain to begin with, if it is your job, your husband, your lifestyle you must work to be HAPPIER immediately. Good luck to all. and please email me back and let me know how you are doing.
THIS IS TO;    RAOUF ZAKI, GREG, W.B.WYLIE, ROBERT, GARY, AND GRANT.       I HAVE SIMILAR PAIN LIKE YOU GUYS ARE HAVING.I INJURED MY BACK IN MARCH OF THIS YEAR AND ITIS A WORK RELATED JOB INJURY.I AM UNDER WORKERS COMPENSATION CARE AND MY W.C. DOC ORDERED AN MRI TO E PERFOMED AND THE RSULTS WERE A HERNIATED DISK AT L-5 AND S-1.I HAVE BEEN TO PHYSICAL THERAPY,PAIN MEDICATIONS,ICE PACK AND HEAT PAD.EXERCISING,ASO I WENT TO AN NEURO-SURGEON AND HE REVEALED THAT MY CONDITION IS NOT SURGICAL,AS HE SAYS.BUT I AM IN SEVERE PAIN EVERY SINGLE DAY.WITH SEVERE PAIN IN MY LEFT TESTICLE.I HAVE AN APPOINT. WITH W.C. DOC MAY 31 TO SEE WHAT HE IS GONNA DO BUT I AM LEFT HANGNG RIGHT NOW.HE DID PUT ME ON STEROIDS CALLED METHYLPREDNISOLONE.WITH LORTAB,CARISOPRODOL(SOMA),AND FLEXIRIL.I HAD TO GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM YESTERDAY CAUSE OF SEVERE PAIN AND THAT SO-CALLED DOC SAID MY TESTICLE PAIN WAS NOT CAUSED BY MY BACK INJURY.BUT HE DID SAY THAT 2 THINGS COULD HAVE HAPPENED WHICH IS A TORN LIGAMENT OR A SMALL HERNIA.IN WHICH I HAD DOUBLE HERNIA SURGERY BACK IN 86 I THINK AND IT FEELS PRETTY MUCH THE SAME WAY.I JUST WANTED TO GET ADVISEFROM YOU GUYS.PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT ***@**** OR ***@**** FOR LISTENING. OR IF ANYBODY ELSE SEE'S THIS AND HAS SAME PROBLEM TYPE ME BACK.  (SATHAT)
A related discussion, Pin in testicle , abdomen and leg after back injury was started.
A related discussion, Pain in testicle , abdomen and leg after back injury was started.