Neurology Expert Forum
Herniated Fragmented Disk

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Herniated Fragmented Disk

I am a 24 year old male with a herniated fragmented disk, lower lumbar between #4 and 5 vertebra (work related), causing back pain with pain radiating down my left leg.  This was found by an MRI after months of pain which did not improve.  Please tell me what treatment would be typical.  If surgery is the usual outcome, is there a least invasive one that I can discuss with my doctor?  And while on the subject of doctors, a doctor in what field would be the best one for me to see?  Looking forward to your input.  Thanks - MWB
Dear MWB:

Sorry to hear about your herniated disc.  If the disc is not compromising the cord, then rehab and PT might be the first treatment to ungo.  However, if the disc is severely compromising the cord, then surgery might be the only alternative.  So, I would first see a neurologist.  Get a good exam and intrepretation of the MRI.  See what your options might be then go from there.  If you go to a surgeon first, then usually you will get the surgery sooner than later advice (which be correct but get a neurologist input first).

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I had a ruptured disk between L4 and L5.  After having had years of bad back problems, I started having significant pain in my right hip and was doing physical therapy without much improvement.  Then one morning in late February 2000 I woke up with very severe and unrelenting pain in my right hip.  I went to the emergency room and Demerol helped (it always does).  The next day I had tingling down my right leg and numbness in the calf and foot with partial foot drop. I then had an MRI which found the ruptured disk.  

Based upon the opinions of a couple of surgeons, I had a diskectomy in early May.  Since then the numbness has improved somewhat but I still have significant numbness in the foot and have not regained all foot function yet.  I also have found new pains in my lower right back.  Still hoping that having had the surgery was worthwhile.  

Good luck.

Mike
I,m in my 30,s I to had a ruptured herniated disc  ,which was work related ,I picked up on an object and caused it .I had surgery on feb 3rd 2000 my left foot is still sevearly numb  and some in my leg ,I don,t know if it will ever come back ,the surgion told me it would within 6 weeks ,it has been 4 months ,I lose my   balance ,if you have any hope please reply thank you ,   ***@****