Herniated discs cause hip pain?
Hi there, I am a 40 yr. old female, I had sciatica starting 2-3 years ago, went for the x-rays, MRI, etc. it was determined I had 2 herniated discs, DDD, arthritic spine and spinal stenosis.  Since then I've been on conservative treatments, physical theraphy, pain meds/muscle relaxers on an as needed basis.  About a month ago, I started having what I perceived to be abdominal pain just on the right side, I originally thought it was "female" related, only to go to the OBGYN and found out differently.  After a while I decided it was my hip that was hurting, and now it is BOTH hips, the pain is EXCRUCIATING, it is difficult to sit, stand, walk, you name it.  Could this all stem from my back issues?  If so, is there a way to fix this?  I originally was against back surgery, but if my choices are to live with this pain, or have surgery to fix it, I'm leaning towards the surgery.  Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated.  
Yes, back pain can cause "referred" pain to the hips. My husband is a physical therapist, I have low back problems (DDD and a herniated disk) and my mother has cracked vertebrae that causes hip pain exactly as you describe.  One thing I notice that exacerbates it for me is when I quit doing the Physical Therapy exercises. If you have stopped doing them at home, start them again. You also should check in with your doctor to see if repeat MRI's are due to check the status, get a new PT prescription, etc. Surgery should always be a last resort for back problems. There is not 100% success and often you need multiple surgeries. Hold off as long as you can if you do consider it. Just my thoughts!