Neurology Community
Herniated discs/spinal stenosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Herniated discs/spinal stenosis

On 1-07 MRI results of mild central stenosis L4-5 due to facet and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy and broad based disc bulge. On 2-07 CT scan showed large herniated nucleus pulposus at C5-6 causing moderate left foraminal stenosis. Left uncinate hypertrophy C3-4 resulting in moderately severe left foraminal stenosis. and Mild to Moderate Central Stenosis at C5-6 and C6-7 with moderate uncinate hypertrophy at C6-7 resulting in moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis Also in 2-07 mild central disc bulge at T7-8. X-rays showed mildly prominent osteophytes especially at L3. No pars defect.. I have severe neck pain, shoulder pain, tingling in thumb and finger. Left leg from buttoc down to toes very painful, and drag that foot a little. I see a neurologist this Thurs.  Can a neurosurgeon fix all of this at once. I drive for a living, am widowed, and live alone. I take neurontin, and Tazanidine for muscle spams. Toporol for rapid heart rate. Actos Plus for diabetes Type II, and at night Vicodine for pain, and Celexa for depression. The neck problems have been going on for approx 10 years. What surgerys am I facing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
how do you stay awake is another question, wish you the best, and hope you and all of us find doctors who can help
sounds more like you have cervical disc issues that may result in a fusion of several discs. if so, it is a popular procedure with a high rate of success and very little pain if you follow the post surgical instructions.
I had this surgery on C-4,5,6,7 last summer and was playing golf nine weeks later. I am 56 years old, male, and used to drive alot myself. good luck.
Thank you for your info. After your multiple fusions, is your neck stiff? I see you golf. I am concerned I couldn't turn my head enough to drive if they do multiple fusions. My energy level is very poor, it takes all I can do to work, and then just sit or lay the rest of the time. Do you think they would do the cervical fusions, and the herniated disc repair in my lower back at the same time? Any advice greatly appreciated.