Neurology Expert Forum
Herniated thoracic disk

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Herniated thoracic disk

Recently had an MRI of thoracic spine. Report states I have a small central herniation at T11-T12 causing mild deformity on the underlying ventral aspect of the spinal cord.
     Is it possible this has been causing extreme chest pain, painful breathing, abdominal pain, difficulty knowing when I need to have a bowel movement and difficulty telling when I am finished uriniating, and extreme mid back pain when I lean forward such as doing the dishes or folding cloths.
     In an attempt to find the cause my Dr. has sent me for EMG of arms and legs,nerve conduction tests, kidney imaging etc. Everything has come back excellent no problems what so ever.
My Dr. made an appointment for an evaluation with a neurosurgeon in March at my request although he is certain this cannot be causing my problems. I called the neurosurgeons office to try to move the appointment up because my place of employment will be closing permanently before then. They said there was nothing they can do. If you believe that my symptoms could be caused by this I will drag myself to the emergency room if I need to. When laid off I intend to return to college for a couple more years and will have no medical insurance.

Thank you very much!
Painster
A small disc herniation usually causes a deformity of the 'sac' or spinal fluid space around the spinal cord, rather than indenting the spinal cord itself, and I suspect this is what the actual report showed?
In that case, it is probably an incidental finding and is not causing your symptoms. I cannot give you a definite answer without looking at the MRI.

Other possible causes might include another lesion in or compressing the spinal cord in the higher thoracic or cervical region (should be identified on MRI), an abnormal blood vessel malformation around the spinal cord (sometimes not seen on MRI, called a dural arteriovenous malformation) or a problem with the peripheral small nerves causing a painful peripheral neuropathy and an autonomic neuropathy(due to for example, diabetes). I cannot be any more specific without evaluating you.

If it is due to a spinal cord problem and you have bladder/bowel symptoms, you will have an abnormal lower limb neurological examination.
Good luck with your appointments

PW
See my post a couple of threads down.  I don't know for sure if it will help but its amazing how much moving one little bone at the top of my neck has relieved me of a variety of symptoms.  Including, extreme back pain caused by the same type of movements as you described, as well as trouble breathing and upset stomach, hearing problems, sinus pressure that I did not even know I had, and many other ailments.  If there is clearly a need for surgery as determined by tests and a good doctor than you do what you have to do.  But this may be worth checking out before taking such steps.  It will only take a few specific x-rays and proper examination by a qualified individual to determine if re-alignment is needed, so it shouldn't cost too much.  I was lucky and mine cost $170 for the first time ($125 for x-rays/$45 for adjustment) and $45 for every re-adjustment which I haven't needed yet (probably due to my youth and the fact that I was treated within a reasonable amount of time - nine months).  Its worth a shot...  I'll pray for you.
I have read your threads and I recently had xrays with my mouth opened to check for that very problem. With the Doctors being so overwhelmed with patients I have not heard what the results of those xrays are. I did a little search to see if anyone specialized in cervical care in my area then narrowed it down to the closest one. In the event I do not find relief soon I will go and see him. It truely is amazing how sometime the smallest things can create the biggest problems. I am glad you found relief and wish you the best.
Painster
A related discussion, Thoracic herniation was started.