Neurology Community
Herrington Rod

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Herrington Rod

My name is Sonya.  My dad just turned 60 years old and has officially given up on life.  He had a Harrington Rod put in his back for his scoliosis in 1966.  He spends the majority of his life in bed.  He walks completely haunched over-and is in pain 24 hours a day.  My question is-how can we stop the pain?  It breaks my heart to see him so miserable and depressed.  No doctor can give us any answers.  He says over and over that he just wants to give up on life because the pain has just become unbearable.  Is there any surgery out there that can eliminate some of his pain?  And if so-does insurance cover it?  My dad is broke-probably because he has spent all his money on medication, pain clinics, and doctors that offer no results.  He has no one but me.  I just want to be able to help him-and get him better so he can be a part of his grand children's life.

This discussion is related to Spinal pain 30 years after Harrington rod surgery for scoliosis and MRI results.
Hi......I'm sure it's very difficult watching your dad give up on life because of the pain......I just wanted to offer something that may possibly help him.....I had a bad horse accident in 1982.......where it left me with an incomplete injury.....I suffered sharp shooting pains.......at least once a week.....narcotics didn't touch it......in 2000, they put me on Neurontin, an anticonvulsant drug with the side effects of addressing nerve pain.....I don't know what kind of pain your father has......but if it's nerve pain......some of the worse kind of pain I've ever felt......maybe this info will help........I hope you find answers for him.....it must be terrible for all of you.................peace and love.......Norma
when is it to be considered 'too old' for a harrington rod insertion.  I've got severe scoliosis which gives me debilitating pain 24/7.  Even waking up and getting out of bed is a bugger!  I'm 47, and would give my right arm to have my spine straight.  Clothes don't sit on me right, and I have areas on my thoracic area which are numb to touch.  I was a thalidomide baby and have a full hip replacement to one hip.
I am a 57 year old man. I have had 3 back surgeries, starting 12 years ago. The first was a ray cage put in to fix where me sacrum connects to my spinal column. THe next year the doc told me he missed some things and did a foraminotomy, laminotomy and something else I cannot remember, The third was a harrington rod placement in my Lower back. I have never fully recovered from the rod placement and went to many doctors untill I finally had a interthecal pain pump put in. They cut a pocket in your side and place the pump then they run the tubing to the area that is giving you the most pain. It has helped me for the past 10 years , but I still have to take oral pain meds. I would probably not had the last surgery if I k new more at the time and was more informed by my doc. Has your Dad gone to a REPUTABLE pain clinic? If not, take him to one and they have trial runs with either the interthecal pump or a tens unit. I get about 30 -50per cent relief which atn the ntiome I started was a miracle. I hope your father gets better., and I hope this has helped.