Neurology Community
High Ammoneia count

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

High Ammoneia count

About a month ago i experienced extreme confussion, headaches, generally disorientation and nausea. To the point where i can barely read or function. I went to the doctor and he assigned me a blood test to test my ammoneia count. When i got the results it was over 200. After that it went down but just recently i've been experiencing the exact same symptoms. I also just had the flu so i was drinking alot of water to flush the virus out of my system, anybody know what i can do to lower my amoneia count, until i see the doctor next?
Hi there.

Ammonia levels are correlated with a person's liver status, and bacterial load of the colon and bowels.  Patients with liver disease are unable to process or detoxify ammonia so that ammonia levels can reach dangerously high levels.  This is coupled by increased ammonia production of colonic bacteria, especially if one is constipated or has an irregular bowel movement.  High protein intake can also lead to an incresed ammonia production.  I suggest you talk about these possibilities with your doctors.  Laxatives and a syrup called lactulose can aid bowel movement and decrease the amount of ammonia producing bacteria in the bowel.

Regards.
Hi there.

Regards.
Avatar n tn
Thanks you were helpful