Neurology Community
High Blood Pressure + Brain Aneurysms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

High Blood Pressure + Brain Aneurysms

I have been thinking about getting checked for brain aneurysms just to be on the safe side. I am 19 years old and a male and do not have any of the symptoms, but I hear unruptured generally do not produce symptoms. I also have normal blood pressure. Should I even be concerned with this? I am worried it may be a waste of money, time and resources, but I keep finding myself thinking "What If?" If I am not showing any symptoms, that means it has not ruptured (if I were to have one) so should I be concerned about it?

Thank you so much for any help!
also, I have no family history of brain aneurysms

Why do you want to get tested for brain aneurysm?

If you have no family history of aneurysms, no causative or predisposing factors (like kidney disease, connective tissue disorders, high blood pressure, alcohol or tobacco addiction) then there seems to be no reason to even think of one, without any signs and symptoms. Even those with a family history and predisposition to aneurysms are screened beyond the age of about 30 yrs. Hence, there is no point in getting a scan. Even if you have one, there is usually no medical treatment. Surgical treatment carries greater risk than if the lesion is left alone.

Instead, it is better if you follow a healthy lifestyle, stop alcohol and tobacco.

Regards
Thank you for your help! I guess I seem to worry about stuff like that too much, you know you hear one thing that you are unsure about, then look it up, and then it starts to scare you, and you wonder if you should be tested, and all the "what if's" come into play, but I have been feeling much better about the whole thing now that I am more knowledgeable on it! Thanks again!