High volume spinal tap recommended for MS
It is now recommended I receive a high volume spinal tap to reduce the amount of fluid in my brain. Consistently in the last few years, my MRI results show a high volume of fluid, and the idea is that this may contribute to the increase MS symptoms I'm now experiencing (MS diagnosed in 2003). I think this is excessive treatment, and worry it will cause some type of negative consequences in my body/brain. Continued gait, dizziness and memory problems are occuring but not causing me too much distress.

My question is this, when is this treatment absolutely necessary? Can other hereditary factors contribute to excessive fluid in the brain? My entire family has huge heads, no kidding, Both my brothers wears an 8+ hat, my son the same, I had to have a C section during his birth; I have never been able to wear any woman's hat although I'm unsure what my hat size is. My neurologist previously discounted the MRI fluid results when I explained my family history of large heads, but my PA now recommended this procedure and he now agrees. Again, I think it's too dangerous and wonder when others would recommend this course of action.

Any opinions or other input?

Thanks!

Diane

Thank you!