Neurology Community
Hip and groin pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hip and groin pain

I started having groin pain and my leg gave out about 6 months ago. In the last 2 months it has spread into my hip. I have had a CT Scan and MRI. They showed some mild arthritis in my right hip and a ruptured disc at L4. This pain is continual. I have taken 400 mgs. of tramadol for 3 days no relief. Hip replacement has been mentioned. I would like to know of other things that could cause this.  I want to examine all avenues before I try hip replacement. I thought if it were arthritis  the pain would let up sometimes and not be constant.  I have had back problems for 30+ years and this does not feel like that. Any suggestions you can suggest would be appreciated.  Thank you
As them to specifically check for congential hip displa.  it is something your born with is quite common, but doesnt start acting up til later in life, i am in my 40's but had it and problems since i was younger mine is pretty severe.  I have actually had hip xrays done and nothing was detected but mine is severe its not something that looks out of the ordinary unless they are looking for it.
I know someone who has had continual groin pain ever since she fractured her hip.
The hip bone healed, but the pain continued.

I don't know if tramadol would be the right pain medication for arthritis.
Perhaps your doctor would let you try Celebrex or one of the other meds.

Some people have found that glucosamine helps their arthritic joints.
You need large doses for the first couple months, then you can taper down.
When I tried this, my fingernails grew in very strong.

Taking fish oil capsules can help to reduce the inflammation of arthritis.
You would need to take a pharmaceutical quality fish oil, to make sure that you weren't also getting mercury.

I hope you can figure out a way to relieve the pain without resorting to surgery.

Wishing you the best,
Carol