Neurology Expert Forum
Hip pain and numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hip pain and numbness

I am 29 years old , and for the last year or so I have been having problems with my right hip.This is kind of odd...but if i lay on my left side in bed...my right hip will start to hurt and will go painfully numb. The only it feels better is if i lay on the sore side. It also is sore when i am sitting or moving around , more so recently. I have no idea what is causing this and it is very frustrating. I was born with Yellow Jondice that settles in my hip socket and also had an infection of the hip linning as a young child but all that went away many years ago. I dont know what to do. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am just so sick and tired of this.
Dear Sandy,
The hip pain that you are experiencing could be a focal problem, that is, originating from the hip itself or a referred pain.  In any case, it needs to be evaluated.  Plain films (xrays) of the hip and low back will help determine if there are any bony abnormalities or degeneration of the joint. Infection is another possibility, however, you are not describing other symptoms of infection (fever etc). Although not the most common location, disc disease or abnormalities within the spinal canal may cause compression of nerve roots causing referred symptoms.   This type of pain may be position dependent.  I recommend a neuro exam (which will also help pick up subtle motor, sensory and reflex changes if present--and help in localizing the problem if neurological in nature).  Also, the imaging as above annd some basic blood work such as CBC and sed rate.  If you are interested in getting an evaluation at CCF call 1-800-CCF-CARE.  Good Luck.

1 Comment
A related discussion, Hip pain and numbness was started.