Neurology Expert Forum
Hip pain that goes down leg

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hip pain that goes down leg

I have left hip pain that comes for about a week at a time and then disappears for months. Sometimes the pain is not so bad during these 'episodes' and others its unbearable. My hip will hurt and then it goes down the back of my leg all the way to the knee, and sometimes my lower back on the left side will hurt as well, not exactly where the spine is but... I was just wondering if anyone knew what this was caused from? Haven't been able to find any answers. Thanks so much for your time!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I cannot tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

You haven’t provided enough details about the symptoms so it will be difficult for me to provide a detailed answer.

Basically, the source of your hip pain is either musculoskeletal (to do with the muscle and tendons), joint or neurological. Musculoskeletal pain can result from microtrauma in muscles/tendons caused by overuse of the muscles in the respective regions. The muscles can go into spasm and cause more pain. Joint problems can be caused by arthritic conditions (like osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis for example) or bursitis (inflammation of bursa). Bursa is a small fluid-filled sac lined by synovial membrane with an inner layer of viscous fluid. It provides a cushion between bones and tendons and/or muscles around a joint. This helps to reduce friction between the bones and allows free movement. Neurological pain can be caused when nerve roots (coming out of the spinal cord) become compressed at the neck or lumbar area and this results in pain, tingling, and numbness, with or without loss of function in the area supplied by the affected nerve. Common causes of this radiculopathy are neural foramen narrowing (neural foramen is the canal through which the nerve exits) , usually caused by arthritis in older adults, and disk lesion caused by disk degeneration or herniation. Disk degeneration results in loss of disk space, with closer approximation of the vertebrae on either side of the involved disk space and subsequent impingement on the neural foramen. The decrease in size of the neural foramen results in nerve root compression.

I would recommend seeing your primary care physician who can take a detailed history and do an exam to determine what the cause is. He can also refer you to a specialist if he feels it is warranted.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

Have you noticed a pattern, such as increased physical activity or a specific type of physical activity (walking, yoga, moving objects, etc.) in the days preceding your pain?
No, I haven't noticed anything like that I don't really do much my job requires me to sit all day.
A related discussion, Pain was started.
A related discussion, Pain was started.
A related discussion, Numbness was started.