Neurology Community
Hole in my spinal cord.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hole in my spinal cord.

Ok, I posted a question a while back.  Since then, I have consulted a neurosurgeon.  I am confused now.  This is my MRI report.
My MRI says:
Severe degenerative disc disease and spondylolsis is seen at C5-6 and to a greater extent at C6-7.  there is some high signal seen in the central cord consistent with myelomalacia.
C3-4= there is a central disc protrusion with minimal impingement on the anterior thecal sac producing mild central canal stenosis.
C4-5= The is broad based disc protrusion with partial effacement of the thecal sac. There is evidence of abnormal increased signal in the central cord.
C5-6= there is broad based disc prtrusion producing moderal central canal stenosis especially to the left of midline.  There is evidence of mild left neural foraminal stenosis also reflecting facet arthropathy.
C6-7, moderate to severe central stenosis due to spurring and a large central disc protrusion.  there is no definite evidence of neural foraminal stenosis.
There is extensive laminectomy defect seen beginning at the inferiar aspect of C4 and extending through C7.
IMPRESSION:
1. Extensive post surgical changes
2. Severe degenerative changes especially at C5-6 and C6-7, with evidence of spinal stenosis as desribed.
3. Extensive myelomalacia seen within the cervical cord.

My neurosurgeon told me that I have a significant hole in my spinal cord.  He told me that he wanted surgery to be our absolute last option.  He explained that he would have to insert a tube into my spinal cord and drain it into my lung.  He asked what kind of medications I take for pain, (Lortab, Darvocet, Anaprox)  He said there are stronger pain meds we can give you.  He never mentioned anything else about all the other problems with my MRI.  Like they aren't important anymore.  This "hole" just took over all of the discussion.  He told me to be very careful about jarring my neck, whiplash, etc.  He told me what signs to watch for as this progresses I guess.  Is paralysis probable.  I seem to have lost so much strength in the past year.  My headaches have gotton more frequent and severe.  I have a serious burning pressure in my neck almost everyday.  My arms are tingling and numb feeling most of the time.  I have had some bladder control issues.  My muscles in my arms, legs and hands are constantly in spasms.  Sometimes the spasm takes quite a while to release.  These are just a few of my symptoms!!!    Any advice would be appreciated.  I go back to see the neurosurgeon in a month.  I am searching for some guidance.  
Hello Dear,

You should go in for physical therapy such as hydrotherapy, massage, and hot/cold therapy.
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) is a treatment in which a painless electrical current is sent to specific nerves through electrode patches that are placed on the skin. The mild electrical current generates heat that serves to relieve stiffness, improve mobility, and relieve pain
Treatment methods should be focused on pain relief and maintaining quality of life.

If these donot help  then the only option is surgery.You should consult  another neurologist and take a second opinion regarding the pros and cons of the surgical procedure.

Refer http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article180.html
Best

thank you for your response!  I appreciate your advice.  So is the hole the most significant problem?  Are the other problems not important anymore?  And is the hole in my spinal cord the same thing as myelomalacia?  When I asked him about the myelomalacia, he said they are the same thing, some people just call it one thing and others another.  I have a hot tub and I have been exercising and stretching in the hot tub.  Thank you again for your compassion and your answer.

Susie
i also forgot  to mention that I am doing hot/cold also.
Avatar n tn
i have had a spinal injury and i missed out on my sat tests and i also have a hole in my spinal cord but ive not witnessed any pain of any kind my injury was at t-12 L-1 i also have blader isues which dont help as i have a gf and i dont know how i can tell her that i have a leg bag. i still have spazms im my calfs and my ankle (my right one) if you have anything like this please contact me on my email Nicky-***@****
thank you :)