Neurology Community
Hot feeling...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hot feeling...

Hi my name is Andy im 20 years old male pretty healthy most of my life and im very active as in playing sports and staying fit by lifting weights.

Recently, I have been experiencing these hot feelings or sensations on my face, arms, and hands. they feel like a hot wind just passes by and then i feel cool again. Its sorta like the feeling when your computer gets really hot and while it blows air out it hits your face and you feel it for a quick second. thats the feeling i get with my arms and face. Ive gone outside to cool down but it really doesnt help. I just got out of a cold/flu... also its been around 82 degrees where i live. What could be the reason for this? Oh and i am drinking a lot of water to stay hydrated. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks
Avatar_dr_m_tn
No one knows exactly what the physiologic cause is for hot flashes but the beginning trigger is probably increased heat (or blood flow) in the heat regulatory area of the brain. The brain, sensing an increased body temperature, releases chemicals that cause the skin blood vessels to dilate so the heat can be released. Many systemic conditions can also produce flushing such as carcinoid syndrome, systemic mast cell disease, pheochromocytoma, medullary carcinoma of the thyroid, pancreatic islet-cell tumors, renal cell carcinoma, hyperthyroidism, neurological flushing, emotional flushing, and spinal cord injury. These conditions are thought to secrete chemicals into the blood stream that can stimulate the nerves or blood vessels of the brain.
By far, the most common cause of hot flashes is a stress reaction that causes epinephrine and norepinephrine release into the blood stream. This in turn causes increased blood flow and thus increased heat. A hot flash may ensue to get rid of the heat. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards !