Neurology Expert Forum
How can you differentiate between a B12 deficiency and MS?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Thanks in advance to the Dr.'s on the forum for taking the time to answer these questions.
For the past couple weeks i have had nonstop tingling in both legs, weak muscles, and fatigue. I have had progressive short term memory loss ever since taking welbutrin a couple years ago but have noticed it getting worse in the past couple weeks. I have had frequent urination and symptoms of bladder infections (feel like i have to pee constantly and cant once i try etc.) I finally went to the dr. about the tingling and she ordered some blood tests and my B12 levels came out low, with no thyroid/diabetes/anemia etc.
Because MS runs in my family and a lot of these symptoms are similar to ones of MS I am wondering how to tell the difference between the symptoms of low B12 and MS? I have also taken multivitaims that have the daily required intake of B12 in them for over 8 years now daily I also exercise regularly/eat healthy/am of normal weight etc. I was also wondering if it were a B12 deficiency only, would the symptoms go away or are those prmanent nerve damage?
Please any help/comments/or advice would be appreciated
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

How low was your B12? Vitamin B12 deficiency classically begins with mild general weakness and paresthesias (i.e., sensory changes). As the disease progresses, if left untreated, can cause gait abnormalities. Additionally, it may cause cognitive changes ranging from apathy, irritability, somnolence, and emotional instability. Treatment is with B12 supplementation. (Depending on your B12 level, you may need intramuscular injections). B12 deficiency is a treatable condition and typically complete to near complete recovery is expected, especially if caught early in the disease progression.

Regarding the MS question, please refer to the earlier post that I left you regarding the diagnosis of MS. As people have mentioned to you, MS can present in many different ways and may take time to diagnose.

I highly recommend you discuss your concerns with your primary physician. A neurology referral may be worthwhile if concerns remain.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.