Neurology Expert Forum
How long does B12 recovery take?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

How long does B12 recovery take?

My 27 year old daughter was diagnosed with B12 deficiency in December and was told to take 2000 mcg supplement every day.  She is a vegan, and had an eating disorder 5 years ago.  Her levels have since gone up to 1200.  She is still having electric shocks in her body, issues with her skin regarding hot and cold , wet sensations that aren't there and can't concentrate even though she started taking addereall in October.  She is petrified that she has MS.  She is trying to find a neurologist she can see, but my question is:  Is it possible she has nerve damage from the B12 deficiency and how long does it usually take to recover?  Are these symptoms from the deficiency or is there something else going on?
Tags: B12, Recovery
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to obtain a history from you and examine you, I can not comment on a formal diagnosis or treatment plan for your symptoms. However, I will try to provide you with some information regarding this matter.

Vitamin B12 deficiency classically begins with mild general weakness and paresthesias – mostly in the hands and feet. As the disease progresses, and if left untreated, it can cause gait abnormalities. Cognitive changes can occur ranging from apathy, irritability, somnolence, and emotional instability. Treatment is with B12 supplementation. Once treatment begins, partial improvement can be expected. Most of the improvement occurs in the first 6-12 months of therapy.

Thank you for using the forum, I hope you find this information useful, good luck.