Neurology Community
How long does benign positional vertigo last?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

On 03/20/08, I woke up in the morning and felt like the room was spinning when I bent over to wrap my head in a towel.  This lasted most of the day.  The next day, the same thing happened again, and I went to the dr. and was diagnosed with BPPV.  I have been on Antivert, although not taking it daily.  The condition has improved, but I still get the spinning sensations when I turn my head in a certain direction, especially when I wake up in the morning, or roll over in bed.  How long should this last?
Hi there!

Unfortunately BPPV though sounds really benign, is really difficult to manage. Most often, patients take medicine for as long as they have these symptoms usually lasting for 6 months.  I suggest you consult with an ENT specialist as they have exercises and maneuvers called "Epley" or "Semont" maneuvers which they can do right at their offices.  For now, you can continue your medications.  Also report to your physician any worsening of symptoms or gait abnormalities since a close differential of BPPV is cerebellar dysfunction.

Hope this helps.  Good day...
I also have BPPV...I was almost insane with it...I have a great ENT Dr...they finally ended up doing a "balance test" it was not bad at all...however after it was aful for about a week...it subsided and I have had a few bouts but I do the Epley and Semont to get myself back on track...a Physical Therapist who is trained in treating people with this can also do it and show you the correct way...
If your insurance does not cover it...go on line and search Epley manueuver and Semont manueuver...it is very well explained...
If a therapist can do it first? I would go that route so they can show you...
I was also told not to take Antivert...(meclazine) as it hampers the brain from going back to balance those crystals in the ears...
Hope this gives you a start...