Neurology Community
How long does numbness last with a pinched C6 nerve?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi.  I was diagnosed just over 2 weeks ago with a pinched nerve in my neck.  Thankfully--so thankfully--the combination of medication and a pain injection have brought relief from the pain, but I suffer from panic attacks and the numbness/tingling that still exists in my thumb and arm is starting to trigger them.  I am going to physical therapy, and I know this is the last symptom to go.  However, mentally, I am having some anxiety issues.  Can anyone who has had something similar let me know how long the numbness lasted for him or her?  Or is there anything you know to help heal this symptom any quicker?  Thank you.
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Your symptoms are due to irritation in the cervical (neck) spine nerves because of injury/prolapse where contact between the edges of the vertebrae can cause neck pain. In few people, this pain may be referred and perceived as occurring in the back of head, shoulders, arms or chest, thumbs rather than just the neck. Other symptoms may include vertigo, nausea (dizziness) that you felt. Other symptoms are like neck pain and stiffness can be intermittent. It will be best that you consult a neurologist who would like to prescribe pain killers, steroid and muscle relaxants. Other treatments could be cervical orthosis such as a soft cervical collar/stiffer neck brace to restrict neck movement. In addition, cervical traction may also be suggested by the doctor, if condition is severe. Hope this helps.