Neurology Community
How long will effects of viral meningitis last?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

How long will effects of viral meningitis last?

About 7 weeks ago, I had classic symptoms of viral meningitis and went to the ER.  Diagnosis via spinal tap was indeed VM and I've been sick ever since.  I was in the hospital for 6 days and then at home, in bed for another week.  Started moving around the house more but couldn't work and was in bed or on the couch most of the day for another 3 weeks.  Went back to work for 1/2 days only about 3 weeks ago but can't seem to get past this point before extreme fatique, dizzy head and upset stomach occur.  I feel like after battling this illness for 7 weeks + now that I should've been further along.  My Dr says my symptoms are normal and that some people take 3 or 4 months to fully recover and that I'm actually doing well since apparently, I had a severe case.  I am concerned however because I still have this weird feeling in my head....a flutter, or feeling something move, or dizziness  or whoosh like feeling that occurs (very difficult to describe).  It effects my ears and seems to get worse when I use my eyes too much like at work or driving (I am still unable to drive at this point).  When it gets worse I get extremely tired and then, it kicks in my stomach with an acid reflux type of effect. Plus, I get very tender spots on my scalp. It's a terrible cycle that I can't seem to stop.  To complicate issues, I have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritus.  When it has rained, of course, my symptoms from these ailments kicked up.  I thought my VM effects were getting better slowly but surely (even though I seem like I've hit a wall right now) but then, we had 3 days of rain come in and everything kicked up at once.  My head got worse and I ended up in bed. I got to the point that I could hardly walk without listing to one side and the light really bothered me.  I feel like I regressed 2 or 3 weeks in my recovery.  Is this all normal?  Is my fibro complicating the issue? Should I expect this weird feeling in my head to eventually go away or, will it linger and only get worse when inflammation in other areas occur?  If it is to linger, how long should I expect?  Are there tests they can do to make sure there is no permanent damage to since a lof of this seems to be tied to my vision in my left eye (I had double vision for the first few days in the hospital with my perifreal vision only) since I get worse with driving, work, etc.  Plus, I have a twitch in my eyelid and at the outside of my left eye orbit.  I'm also concerned because my memory is terrible....especially to recall things that happened with a month or two right before I fell ill.  I just don't know if this is all normal and if it will get better with time or what.  I take many vitamins and herbs for my fibro (which I normally have only 1 or 2 attacks a month that last for one or two days only) and also see a chiropractor every two or three weeks  So, I'm open to any natural remedies you can suggest.  As you can see I'm very frustrated and loosing patience with this whole situation and need some difinative answers for what is happening in my head. Tks!