Neurology Community
How long will effects of viral meningitis last?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

About 7 weeks ago, I had classic symptoms of viral meningitis and went to the ER.  Diagnosis via spinal tap was indeed VM and I've been sick ever since.  I was in the hospital for 6 days and then at home, in bed for another week.  Started moving around the house more but couldn't work and was in bed or on the couch most of the day for another 3 weeks.  Went back to work for 1/2 days only about 3 weeks ago but can't seem to get past this point before extreme fatique, dizzy head and upset stomach occur.  I feel like after battling this illness for 7 weeks + now that I should've been further along.  My Dr says my symptoms are normal and that some people take 3 or 4 months to fully recover and that I'm actually doing well since apparently, I had a severe case.  I am concerned however because I still have this weird feeling in my head....a flutter, or feeling something move, or dizziness  or whoosh like feeling that occurs (very difficult to describe).  It effects my ears and seems to get worse when I use my eyes too much like at work or driving (I am still unable to drive at this point).  When it gets worse I get extremely tired and then, it kicks in my stomach with an acid reflux type of effect. Plus, I get very tender spots on my scalp. It's a terrible cycle that I can't seem to stop.  To complicate issues, I have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritus.  When it has rained, of course, my symptoms from these ailments kicked up.  I thought my VM effects were getting better slowly but surely (even though I seem like I've hit a wall right now) but then, we had 3 days of rain come in and everything kicked up at once.  My head got worse and I ended up in bed. I got to the point that I could hardly walk without listing to one side and the light really bothered me.  I feel like I regressed 2 or 3 weeks in my recovery.  Is this all normal?  Is my fibro complicating the issue? Should I expect this weird feeling in my head to eventually go away or, will it linger and only get worse when inflammation in other areas occur?  If it is to linger, how long should I expect?  Are there tests they can do to make sure there is no permanent damage to since a lof of this seems to be tied to my vision in my left eye (I had double vision for the first few days in the hospital with my perifreal vision only) since I get worse with driving, work, etc.  Plus, I have a twitch in my eyelid and at the outside of my left eye orbit.  I'm also concerned because my memory is terrible....especially to recall things that happened with a month or two right before I fell ill.  I just don't know if this is all normal and if it will get better with time or what.  I take many vitamins and herbs for my fibro (which I normally have only 1 or 2 attacks a month that last for one or two days only) and also see a chiropractor every two or three weeks  So, I'm open to any natural remedies you can suggest.  As you can see I'm very frustrated and loosing patience with this whole situation and need some difinative answers for what is happening in my head. Tks!
-7 Comments Post a Comment

I had viral menengitis about 7 years ago and have never really felt the same since. I was 56 when I had it - don't know how old you are. They said I had a small stroke but it was too small to affect me much. I have not been able to concentrate anywhere near as much as before and can't really do more than one thing at a time. I am an accountant and used to work on several jobs at a time, answer the phone and go back to where I was straight away and pick the thread up where I left off but can't do that anymore. I think because I was so old it affected me worse but I could only start work again after nearly a year and had to just work as a clerk part time because my memory wasn't right. I  think you're doing well to be where you are. Strangely I also have your other problems with more or less the same symptoms, especially the dizzyness (more like balance than spinning - feel drunk) also my right eye seems to go out of sync a bit. Have trouble remembering some things like books I have recently read, using the computer for a long session etc. Also have wierd head feelings like it's full of pressure and going to burst. Some days are a lot better than others, but I know that I will never be as 'sharp' as I was and the menengitis has had a permenant affect.
Don't let me depress you because as I said compared to me you're doing great. Just take your time; its too soon yet. Most of all try not to stress because that makes it a lot worse. Has much more affect than it did before the tilness. Be patient, good luck.
I got meningitis a year ago, and still get dizzy and my ears get plugged all the time...I still get fatigued and thats very frustrating to me..I also loss my eye sight, it gets unclear when i have strained my eyes also..I kinda get depressed which i have never experienced before..I have no motivation, I just make myself, or i would rather just lay around..I am a person that use to be very active and very out going, no im just like what ever..I was also told it would only last a few months, but i still deal with the outcome..good luck