Neurology Community
How to get details from my Doctor?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

How to get details from my Doctor?

I seem to have a problem with Doctors and I think it is because I talk a lot and research a lot. 1st) I can't take pain medication because of allergies. 2) I try to do my own rehab and have done well after two surgeries. 3) I have a history of false MRI's and the last doctor still went by it.

Here is the problem. Last spring I ended up with frozen shoulder and the reason is still up in the air but the pain went from bad to me going to the hospital to ask for an injection of anything they thought I would not have an allergic reaction to. I had not slept in weeks. Chiropractor visits made my neck feel better but not my shoulder and then finally it just froze and I needed to sleep to heal. Move forward they send me to ortho and to the guy who did my knee surgery. I was glad because I thought he remembered I had a history of false negative MRI's but first thing he did was order and MRI...of my neck..not my shoulder. Finally my neck MRI ruled out shoulder from neck and then they did nerve conduction on my arm, shoulder and neck and a X-ray of my shoulder. Then an MRI of my shoulder only to try and throw me off to rehab this past week. I don't know what to do. The ortho said just bursitus but then I picked up the MRI report to take to a new ortho and it says tendinosis among other things. I pushed the new ortho and begged for another test because I really feel certain there is more wrong in my shoulder...just like I was with my knee. I don't like the tests and I don't want surgery if I don't need it but I don't want to go to rehab without knowing exactly what is wrong. They did that with my knee and it made things worse, which is how I got to another doctor who did surgery on my knee in the first place. Friday I was begging for the MRI with dye, to be positive of what is wrong. Saturday a cyst cropped up under my scapula. What do I say to the doctors to get them to take me serious? Can one of you doctors tell me how? Am I wrong to ask for the MRI with dye if I have a history of false negative MRIs? I would think that would just be logic and have no clue why they did not start with that test with my history. For the record, I also had a lumpectomy because that was the only way to biopsy my dense tissue. I turned out to have no cancer. But that is another case of my tissue not reading in some of these tests. Help...what do I say? And should I be worried a cyst came up last night? Feels fluid filled and does not hurt, actually cause surface numbness.

PS..this started last May and has dragged on this long...I have full mobility because I won't let it freeze again and do my own rehab daily (slow, with towel, no weight, controlled) but the pain won't stop and the shoulder pops..not popping but multiple noises like it dislocated, but that never happens in front of the doctors.

like taking a car to mechanic and it stops making the noise it made for months...

help!!!!
PS...the Knee MRI showed nothing and 1st doc blew me off, sent me to rehab, pain got worse wne to new doc who saw nothing on MRI yet did do surgery...BUT surgery showed bone contusion, blood effusion, grade  2 (almost 3) meniscal tear, compartmental derangement (or is that  derangement of the knee compartment...i dont remember). I just wanted to be specific about my history with these tests and why I am trying to figure out how to talk to doctors. I feel they wasted 8 months on the wrong tests. Maybe I am very wrong. The knee doc who did surgery is the one who ordered the MRI's of my neck and shoulder...i really thought he would start elsewhere with my history. Am I nuts for wondering about this? Is it wrong for me to push for this test? Is it wrong to want as clear and answer as possible? The knee/1st shoulder doc also failed to mention a few things on the reports I picked up. I can't take pain medicine. I need answers to begin the healing. It is all I have. How do I get this across?
One last thing: I don't think any of these doctors are bad...I think my Mom was right. Doctors are trained to deal with 4 out of 5 patients because that is how it normally works. Most people show the same symptoms. I think I am one of those odd people whose symptoms don't do as they should. My life bears it out. How do I get this across this time to speed this up and how do I do it in general?
You have every right to get a ct or mri with contrast. That is your right as a patient.