Husband had a grand-mal seizure for the first time and now on meds- long term memory is gone?? What is up? Dilantin? failed blood patch?
On 12/26/2010 my husband had a grand mal seizure. He had never had any sort of seizure before so this was very random. He was hospitalized for 4 days and every head test you can think of was performed. The MRI was clean, CT was clean, labs were good, except they found that his knee reflexes were super high? He was given Dilantin in the hospital and while he was there his long term memory was bad but not so bad (he could remember his past). As soon as he came home he was given teh generic Dilantin and his long term memory was wiped out. He cannot remember family, friends, events, etc. ABC's were even a struggle. We also noticed that he has hand tremors as well as some unbalance and dizziness.  This has been going on for 3.5 weeks and it seems pretty long for the memory to be gone that long.  We finally met with a new neurologist and she said that his seizure was probably a freak thing and will never happen again and the memory loss as well as the other symptoms are because of the Dilantin. She suggested we wean him off of the Dilantin and start him on Trileptal, in which we are doing.

Also he had a blood patch which did not take and is left with, still, a horrible headache (he says it feels like a lot of pressure) and gets worse when he is frustrated.

My husband is starting to give up hope of his memory ever coming back. Does anyone here have any experience with this? Please help!

Thank you