Hydrocephalus/VP shunt problems
I was diagnosed with hydrocephalus a bit later in life than most patients with it, I was diagnosed at age 12 (1999). Last year, I became pregnant unknowingly which increased my ICP, and a VP shunt was placed. As of lately (the last two months) I've had excruciating headaches.. every day, and numerous ER visits later, only to be diagnosed with a migrane. However, the last ER visit I was finally given something else, that some patients with VP shunts have 'shunt headaches'. I've never heard of this, and never had anyone else tell me anything about a 'shunt headache'. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I've been told to look into pain management but have no insurance, so I think I'm out of luck until I can get some.. I'm debating on having the entire shunt removed. Could this even be an option? I just really need some help with this, I can't keep living in pain like this.
Yes high florenscent light makes the pain in the head worse. Put sunglasses on him. Bright light increases the head aches.

Good Luck and God Bless
I had a hemorrhagic stroke due to hypertension in early 2012. I was taken to a major neurological teaching hospital, so that may have improved the outcome.  The neurosurgeon placed a programmable (Codman Hakim) VP shunt when my CSF refused to regulate its pressure properly.  It's only been in place for eight months now, and I have had no negative experiences with it.  I am blessed to have only minor short-term memory loss.  No problems with numbness, vision, hearing, headaches, or balance.  I have even gotten back on my motorcycle a couple of times (yeah, I know).  I was able to drive and to return to work (as an engineer) three months after the shunt was placed.  there certainy are risks, but I just wanted to let you know that the outcome can be good (so far, anyway).
Thank God I;m not alone! I keep telling the neuroligists to send me to the neurosurgeon to get my back treated. They kept on telling me I have no herniated discs...slipped discs.  Went to another hospital to get rediagonist. Yes , they found one of my herniated discs, but they still have not looked into the one remaining, because they refuse to use contrast fluid, which is needed to bring this problem to light.
So , I have turned to the paranormal world. I have found a great deal of relief by these doctors. They have given me homeopathic medicines which clears up so much of the problems. I refuse to go back to the hospital for the annual check ups as it is a waist of time and breath.
I'm  so happy that your family hospital stuck to their guns.
Bully for you.
God Bless and protect you throughout all your struggles.
Thanks for your imput . I appreciate all whom writes to me.
Thank you for writing what you had gone threw . I am hopeing that some day  the neurologists will team up with the homeopathic doctors and together come to a solution for this illness.

I am sure that mine started when I was around 12 . I heard a pop in my brain when I layed my head down on the pillow. I also pretty sure that It had something to do with the last injections we had for polio, diptheria, tetanus shots, Something went wrong.
I also hate the games these doctors are playing with me. NOt listening.  End up going to a psyscolists or a shrink to be able to air my problems. Cost wise way too expensive and not worth the bother.
take care luv.

God bless
3
Thanks luv ,
I can not sleep unless my head is elevated . Went camping with hubby and we had blow up cussions. Too flat. Almost took my life that time. PUt my motorcycle suit underneath to get the proper elevations needed to survive.
I am sure the doctors have heard this but are too stupid to admit it to their patients.
Be well God Bless
Sorry it took me so long to send you word.
3
I have read what you had written in 2011 . You so hit the nail on the head.
Doctors are not being honest with us because they don't know enough about our medical condition to do anything about it.  I said to the doctors when I was last operated on , I feel as if I am a guinea pig. They acted as if they didn't know what the meaning of the words was.

Anyway , I hope all is well with you. I do hope for all of us that some day soon there will be a better way to get cured. Or at best make life more pleasant to live.

Threewheelmobile
Hi Pamela,
I read your note and I am sorry that I am so late in replying to it, however I have had such a tremendous response . It is hard to keep up.
How are you doing and do you have any questions laying heavily on your shoulders . Do ask ? I'll see if I can help in any way!

I have had a rough couple of days behind me but it was because of the sun shinning. I just function very slow when the sun comes out.

How are you doing?

Luv Threewheelmobile
HI luv,
How did things go?
ON the positive side , the Vp shunt is the only thing that will keep us alive until some genious figures something else out.
Do go to a homeopath to get your symtoms checked by them. They are a better bet than the specialists whom only offer pain killers to take care of the headaches.

Keep your faith in God and let him guide you.
He did this for me and I am certain he will be there for you.
Don't give into your fears. That is the worst thing one can do.

Just go with the flow, and remember we are all different. No one person goes threw all the same things regarding a hydrophaelus. MIne had way too much damage and yet I seem to be able to function more than the doctors can understand.

The reason why they don't understand why I can do so much and manage to keep on smiling is too difficult to comprehend.
Today my brain was not functioning at all fell down on my hands  and knees. I was over joyed with this, because before I would fall head first and hurt my neck.
Al though I don't feel the bruises today , I am sure I will tomorrow

Have a great day luv.
Threewheelmobile
Hi.
Have you tried cold or hot gel element on your neck to see if that would help. Try one and then if that doesn't help try the other kind. Or you could even try switching from hot to cold to get the circulation going in your neck.

I had those oh so familiar throbbing headaches when I had my revision of my shunt and I used cold facecloths to easy my headaches. I noticed that when I was in hospital it was far too warm.  So my husband would give me a cold  facecloth. It helped. I even managed the doctors to get them to turn down the heat on that floor.
At home we always sleep in a cool room.
Try it luv you have nothing to lose.  
We alwatys have gel packages in the freezer .

Good Luck and God Bless
Each one of us are different regarding the built up of brainfluid. Where it is situated en so forth.
I hear you about diddle daddling around. They held me on a line for over a year before they finally decided to put a shunt in.  The problem was we are adults and our problems are the shunts have to placed trategically to help our problems. The neurosurgeon have a lot to think about before they mess with our brains. Having said that , It would have helpe much more to us if they had told me that they had to develope a shunt that would work for my defect. If they had told me up front , I would have been less concerned and have layed back. The first thing that we should all remember.: Is try to keep calm, i don't know how you ever manage to go to work. I am a housewife.
I find that taking care of my house work is more than I can handle.
It is strange if I tell you this but I always put my faith in God. He is the only one with his angels that I feel are always present , guideing me along.

I also visited a homeopath doctor whom was a great help to easying my pain.
All the doctors suggested was to take a tablet or 2 , 3. I was allowed 4000 mg a day. I  was a zombie all day I could get out of the chair. Or it was from the chair to the bed.

Pain killers are not the answer. The more painkillers I took the more I needed.
I am pain free this morning , I don't know how long it will last. I haven't taken a painkiller in months.
Had to last week ...got the flue.

All my love.  Hugs  Threewheelmobile
Hi Enny,

I have had a shunt in my skull since 1991. Of course they can not remove it . It has become embedded in my skull. If push comes to shove they will have to put on right next to it.

It is sad but true but I know that the brain surgeons are not that familiar with this problem. 'They only understand a tiny portion of the brain mattery.
You wouldn't want them to go messing with your pc would you?  Our brain , I call our computer. It is so much more delicate than a pc.

We will have to search for new methods of releiving us from the pain.
I have found relief in homepathic medicines. Which ny the way the doctors in every country are trying to ban.  This is because most of us whom can not find the answer with  our Gps or Neurosurgeons  turn to alternative medicine.
The chinese mush know what they are doing as they have practiced this form of pain relief for over thousands of years.
I put my bets on the alternative medicines and have found it helps tremendously.

Good Luck  God Bless
Threewheelmobile
It is malfunctioning and get to a neursurgeon as soon as you can.
You most likely have a blocked drain. Need to have that looked at.

Good luck luv
Threewheelmobile
Hi Luv ,
I loved reading your comments.  The difference between most of us when we talk about shunt pain is we were discovered late in life with this problem.
We have huge puddles of water in our brains. It was no treated and therefore has caused so much damage. Any foreign matter introduced to the brain is therefore going to cause the brain to retaliate.

I am so glad that you don't have this problem and keep up the good  work.

Thanks for your blessings. Keep the prayers going!

Luv from Threewheelmobile
Hello, I have a VP shunt for hydrocephalus, which was diagnosed at age 38 after being treated for several years for what my doctor thought was vertigo and after finally sending me for an MRI realized that I had hydrocephalus.  I had a shunt revision at the age of 44 and they realized I had two lesions, which was most likely the reason I developed hydrocephalus.  During my second surgery I had a stroke because my brain bled and I again had enormous fluid build up. Listen to your doctors and if you don't care for your doctor find a new one you feel comfortable with.  Although shunt surgery may be common and an easier procedure than most surgeries on the brain, it is still very important and must be treated when you develop symptoms.  Although I have some issues due to my last surgery, it saved my life and I have a very productive life raising my children.  There are risks to all surgeries, but I must say I feel so much better after having shunt surgery.  I don't experience floaters which were caused by the pressure in my brain.  I focus better, I am much less irritable, no more vomiting or dizziness.  Please find a neurosurgeon that you are comfortable with and have the surgery if this is indeed your diagnosis, make sure he is reputable and has experience with shunt surgery and do it and improve your life, it is by far the best thing I have done to improve my quality of life.  Not every day is perfect but it is far better than it was prior to having the surgery.  Good luck Ellen
Have congenital hydrocephalus; have been having pains on my shunt side for 5-6 days now, but my NS appt is in another 6 days.  Many days are more cloudy than sunny, but sunny days hurt my eyes without wearing sunglasses.  Lying down at first hurts, but also sitting up, for most of the time, also hurts, especially if stressed too much.  I have tried pain management in 2011, but it was not effective enough.  I had a revision in February 2012, but my head feels the same as it did 18 months ago. (as my surgeon warned me).  I was given a different programmable VP shunt type, from a ProGav to a Codman programmable VP shunt, but the pain, I also believe is related to many factors out of my control.  I wish I knew what to do about this, or how to feel better right now!
My daughter has had a adjustable vp shunt for 6 years. 2 revisions in the last 9 months. Does anyone know of neurological group  with more than  one doctor/surgeon that actively works on quality of life issues?

Her doctor now, is supposedly the best in Nor cal but does surgery so much that he has no time to address quality of life. We see him after the emergency room.  Not ideal.

I would move anywhere in the country to be near cutting edge doctors who also address quality of life?
Anyone with suggestions please post!
My daughter died just recently from a lack of duty of care in her shunt management with what we believe is a catalog of systemic failures by her neurosurgeon and the hospital... Our advice to shunt sufferers is to be vigilant about their healthcare and as 3wheelmobile is suggesting - get help from a HOMEOPATH... for pain management is key to a good quality of life and drugs only exacerbates the vicious cycle... For people with BRAIN TUMORS* get help from the BANERJI PROTOCOL (google them)...

IN GOD WE TRUST - IN MAN WE RUST!!!!
Hi my name Cristina and I too have a vp shunt for hydrocephalus but I was diagnosed with it when I was 3 weeks old. I went on vacation with my daughter at fl when I was there I had aneixty attack and pain on my shunt area in my head and my adomen is there a possible I might need my shunt revised? I hadn't had a revision since 2009 before I had my daughter which that was in 2011

Please help
Thank you very much for your support and helping me battle the health care system. Especially with the Neurologists whom have put themselves on a pedestal. They refuse to send me to a Neurosurgeon to be able to get a proper assessment.  It is almost laughable if it were not that I am in so much pain.
As if the shunt didn't make matters bad enough. The specialists keep playing these mind games with me. I am so sick to death of battling with stupidity.

Then comes along the judges to ban homeopathic remedies from our health care system.  I am so ashamed of this kind of embarassing situation for all the future patients who can not get the proper care.  The  doctors are completely mad when they just perscribe pain medication without suggesting a way better method . It is much less expensive and the medicines that I have been taking actually help directly.
I had suffered from Asthma brochitis, I have been taking two kinds of homeopthic pippetjes of chemicals that the body is lacking at the moment the
brochitis comes to the surface. These two medicine work directly loosening the hard core slime  and clearing the lungs in a matter of minutes. No puffers needed. The doctors over here try one kind of chemical on one side of Holland and on this side a different one entirely. The bronchitis flairs up when it is chilly and very damp weather. I can not tell you what a great relief it is to have homeopathic remedies to turn to.
If the specialists really had our interests at heart, they should suggest other remedies to try. Not hold on to their narrow minded remedies of chemicals.
Charging us for these worthless or useless cures which aren't a cure at all.
For back problems there are alternative  ways to get our  bodies releived from these horrible pain.  Not to mention the deplorable visits to the specialist lying threw their teeth with each visit. It makes the patients angry not to mention pennyless.
Hi Luv,
I am sorry to hear about this problem you are having, it sounds all to familiar to me.  My suggestion is to go see a homeopathic doctor or physical therapist.  They have a machine that is called accupunture with electrodes. It is almost painless and you can get more answers that way. I found out that eating potatoes were not good for hydropahelus patient nor is aubergines. They hold fluids in our body. I don't know about you but my body has been holding all its fluids. My head is the worst place with the highest concentration of fluids. However I could not urinate at all or very little , so my right kidney was not working properly nor was my liver. It worked twice as much at night making me need to go to the toilet at night. Hence not getting enough sleep and feeling grumpy.
Good luck and God be with you.

Luv from 3wheelmobile
I originally had a VP shunt put on the right side of my head at birth due to hydrocephalus. Then at age 6 (1983) I had a shunt revision and it was put on the left side of my head. I have had no problems with it since then. After reading comments I feel I am very fortunate.
I'm a 45 year old female I have had my vp shunt since 1995. My shunt is turned off now. I keep having shunt headaches. My neurosurgeon Dr John D Day is my doctor. He called me today and told me he is taking the shunt out on January 23, 2013. He thinks I have a leak somewhere in the shunt. The only thing I have had revision on this shunt is tubing on top and a programmable valve put in. Its on the left side of my brain. I sure hope this works Dr Day taking it out. Cause I'm tired laying flat for the low pressure.I will let everyone know how I do. Its very rare they take a shunt out. But I'm rare. they still might have put another one in.
I also have a vp shunt i get bad head aches and pain on the right side where ther shunt is placed and every time i laugh cough sneeze lift anything yell get stressed it hurts bad feels like my head is going to explode but only on the right side does anyone else have these problems ? i have the vp shunt and a spinal shunt....
I have hydrocephalus and had my shunt put in 4 years ago. I have had no problems with the shunt itself but I do get headaches still. But if I drink a little alcohol it goes away. The docs will not remove a shunt because you will die if you don't have it. I almost died before I had my shunt put in. I quit breathing twice so I'm glad I have my shunt. :-)... It's keeping me alive
I'm a 18 year old with a VP shunt. I'm currently having neck pain, hot urine and hot stools. I also can't see properly out of my left eye. Is this a shunt problem? Also, I have difficulty walking and get headaches when I go in stores.
Did you have the programmable shunt put in?  If so it could be the source of your problems.  My sister had it put in for her pseudo tumor cerebri and she had to have it redone 4 times in one year and now she just had them take it out altogether.  Since getting it out she found out that there is a recall on that shunt and it totally explains her problems that she was having.  She definitely had more problems with the shunt than without.
I'm not sure about the hot urine or stool part but the gait problems and headache pain can definitely be caused from the shunt.
Hi  luv.
I read when you go into stores you get a headache. Do you wear sunglasses or have shaded glasses to protect your eyes from the neon lights. The neonlights are very hard on the eyes, which in turn can cause headaches. Have you gotten your urine tested for bladder infections ? Did they keep it long enough to be sure that you don't have a bladder infection that cannot be tested by just with  a paper?
I have never heard of burning stoels  , are they hard ? If they are too hard get Colon Clean , it is a homeopathic remedy which is guaranteed to get your stoels to the proper consistency and make your life so much more pleasant.  Have you been checked for Hemoroids?
God Bless and take care.
Threewheelmobile
Dont know where you are located but just google Dr William Smith neurosurgeon and you will be amazed. He did my surgery and after reading all these posts i feel very lucky. He has pioneered over 200 procedures and patented many devices a swell. He is on call to the Royal Family in Saudi but he is the friendliest, nicest and down to earth man I know. GREAT surgeon...worth a trip to NV or AZ
Dont know where you are located but just google Dr William Smith neurosurgeon and you will be amazed. He did my surgery and after reading all these posts i feel very lucky.He said headaches like this are a sign the shunt is blocked or plugged up. I would think any neurologist should know that.
That is exactly what happened to me! I am having terrible Vp shunt issues. what our parents did was neglect and put us in danger. I have thought about consulting an attorney against my own mother. My shunt was a result of parental abuse. I know your pain. I was told I shouldve had many shunt series done and the resection:( Good parents are priceless! omg   Aimee K.
the answer is yes. weather is a factor to. I have a shunt for 11 years now & will have to be replaced soon. the surgery left me with high sensitivity to flashing lights & seizures .flashing  lights can make you have seizures and some noise as well.I hope this helps you.
Hi Briah, I know how you feel, I have constant headaches due to my shunt as well, they are excruciating like you say, I take Tylenol on a regular basis, but my body has become accustom to the pills they don't work anymore, I just had a shunt patency test done yesterday and the results were normal the shunt is working fine, although I do have an adjustable shunt I think the setting is too high and needs to be turned down, which means another trip to the Dr. good luck with your shunt, I wish there was a different way to deal with hydrocephalus, take care
it has to be replaced with another one, but you can't go without one, you are correct
Yes, I have the same problem, I have a magnetic type shunt and that just means it needs adjusting, either it's draining too much fluid or not enough, you'll have to see your Neurologist, or Surgeon to find out if your shunt is plugged up, they will do a CT Scan or an MRI
I have been having really bad headaches for the last year now consistently. I have had a VP shunt for the last year. I had a programmable shunt until Dec 2013, then the replaced to see if that would solve the problem, it made it worse. I have worse headaches with the new shunt now and have lost both my jobs because I can barely get out of the house anymore because I am always so sick. I have pain and numbness on my shunt side of my head, numbness in my face and hands, feet and knees, have collapsed, double vision, trouble speaking,  and get super sick during these headaches that last any where from 8-40 hours long. I get pain along the tubing site and cant lay down.  I am convinced that they are shunt headaches and my neurosurgeon thinks im nuts and thinks im fine and thinks its just migraines. Its not.  Thoughts?
i had a shunt put in as a child n i  ant came back to get it checked out im 28 now n i ant been having no problems i dont think should i go get a check up on it
Wow I know exactly how you feel. I was diagnosed a few months ago at 59 years of age. I was complaining of dizzy spells so they did mri and found out I have hydrocephalus and meningioma
. I lost a son at 17 years old do to brain tumor so even though they said it was 95 percent chance non cancerous I insisted on radiation cause was told it was no operable . I still haven't had anything done about hydrocephalus but should have another mri in 3 months really scared. Doctors act like all u have to do is wait and see. If I tell them I'm dizzy pressure in ears they say it's not from hydrocephalus when I know it is.
I am about to turn 58 and have recently been diagnosed with hydrocephalus and early onset ischemic brain disease. I am due to see my neurologist in about 6 weeks and it is likely that he will suggest putting a shunt in. Having read the posts here I am a bit wary of going that route and would like to explore other options. Any form of surgery would be tricky given the ischemic brain disease so I could potentially end up worse off.

What other options would people here recommend?
this is literally my life...i just started experiencing really bad tightness and what feels like burning just went to the hospital they saw nothing on the mdi or shunt scans but kept me for observation for 2 nights then sent me home because my neurosurgeon is on vacation and they want me to see him because they don't think its anything major is there  any home remedy because also no type of medicine is helping. Please help
Hello everyone,
My daughter just had a revision about 2 weeks ago at age 13. Her las shunt was done at 8 months old and after 12 years she start getting massive headaches and even vomiting of pain after the second day I knew she would need to be taking to ER for shunt revision. When we where in the ER she started being lethargic and her eyes where almost closed. She had surgery and 2days send home. After surgery she has neck pain and not sure if she just has it from surgery and has nots of stress or if something else is wrong..?
My daughter keeps having headache and vomiting sin c e her last surgery 1/15/15. pain management or malfunction?
My brother is 81. He has had a shunt placed and removed within 8 weeks.
We are waiting to find out if he can recover.  There afe other procedures they can do but who knows what they will be.  The brain shrunk slightly.  Now the fluid will build.....
Hi there.. My daughter has had hydrocephalus since she was 3 1/2 weeks old and has had a vp shunt since... She doesn't particularly like going to shopping centers because of the Fluor lights. She said they make her feel funny and sketchy.. She is nearly 21 and still avoids shopping centers.

Kerrysoulsister
I am 51 and had a shunt put in 9/14 for my diagnosis of hydrocephalus with aqua duct obstruction.  I have some improvements with the shunt (VP type) like my stuttering and balance are better, but my memory has not changed.  I was tested in a memory clinic last January and had the test after the shunt placement in March and found no change....a bit disappointing.  The thing I am concerned with is I continue to have headaches and migraines, ringing in my ears, pain from the shunt in my head and in my stomach areas. I have also developed vertigo and I have constant light body tremors - that when I am tired are more pronounced.  My neurologist was told of all this and just wanted to put me on Tropromax for headache/migraine prevention.  I didn't take immediately because I went back to my Neurosurgeon to let them know my issues and I was concerned that the medication the other doctor prescribed also help in lowering the CF level even more.  I had been told by the neurosurgeon after going to hospital for 2nd time about this that shunt is in place and working and they felt I may have another issue....Meniere's Disease and I should go see an ENT doctor, which I did.  I never really got an answer from them to what they thought may be my issue and he didn't say I didn't have Meniere's disease.  I still am frustrated.  I went back to the neurologist and he again wanted me to take the medication he prescribed, so I did.  I was on 25 mg. for 1 week and it was horrible.  My body tremors were much more pronounced (like a drug addict coming off drugs) and I had wicked insomnia and didn't get to bed before 3 am!  I have kids that go to school and I have to be up by 6:30 am so this was definitely not a good thing.  I called the doctor after a week and he told me not to take it anymore.  It didn't help me at all, but I still have the issues and not sure what my next step should be.  The body tremors are very concerning to me.  I didn't have them prior to having the shunt put in and I was wondering if anyone else has this issue and if you have has a doctor or a homeopathic type doctor would be the way to go.  Or are the body tremors that I am experiencing a sign of something more serious I need to go back to the Neurosurgeon.  This along with the other symptoms are telling me something is not right and I don't think that just taking a pill is going to fix it.  I would like if someone who might have experienced these symptoms let me know possibly what they did, if they still have the issues, and/or a possible direction to steer in.  I need ideas.  I do all kinds of research and I haven't found the body tremor issue with others.  Anyone out there with experience or heard if this please let me know.  Thanks!
Would you please tell me more.  My mother (age 87) just had the shunt put in last week and she is having severe stabbing abdominal pains.  The docs have done Ultrasounds, CT scans and xrays but can't find anything wrong.  
I had a shunt put in 1998 after 10 years of pre diagonas of post mentalpausel mirgains. A bladder had form over the left, right and frontal pretital.  Two years ago I returned to my N/S at the University Hosp andhe stated that replacing the shunt would be too dangerous and only did a ct. The head spasm are over my right ear and now progressing beyond to the frontal pretial. My eye sight even after surgery cateract is not good and even though I did experience memomy lost and short term memomy, the dizzy and weakness in my lower body is becoming more evident.  I reading specialist, 15 years, and knowing I have stress with the students and Admin. The spasms and pain down the whole rigth side is affecting me. When the spasms they are continious lansting for several minutes one right after another. I am loosing sleep due to the pressure on this right side and it consumes me. Funny most  complain of headaches, I have just started to have occuring head and neck tightness but not the sever headpain I had before the surgery. Please excuse my spelling issues. You mentioned Dr Wiliams inPhoneix, I would like to make an apposintment with him for an evaluation. I lived and taught i PhX for 9 years and had a great hemotologist,Cancer at the Piper Cancer Clinic, Dr. Halapolota ,another blessing from God! I am now 72 and take chemo everyday but feel great, but my head and neck doesn't. I hope Ruby you will read my plight with the Shunt, the nero surgen is not responsive here in New Orleans. Yes, I do believe in God, just gave me too much to deal with.
Same issue that my father is also experiencing, he was undergone a vp shunt operation and he always feel a headache at the right part of the head, and he is also experiencing a problem in his vision like double vision.
I am 68 and have had a shunt since January 2015.  I experience problems every time I go into a store with fluorescent lighting.  I feel very distracted and have some problems with my vision.  I have a hard time focusing on my task.  Those symptoms clear up when I leave the store.  I have mentioned this to my doctors but they have no suggestion as to why this is happening to me.

Good luck with your son.  I think the lights may be affecting him like they do me.