Neurology Community
Hydrocephalus shunt failure symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hydrocephalus shunt failure symptoms

I have been shunted 7.5 years.  Since first shunt was placed, I regularly heard a drainage noise on getting out of bed which subsided after a few  minutes upright.  I assumed this was my shunt siphoning.  That seemed confirmed when the noise stopped and some time later my neurosurgeon advised I needed a revision because my ventricles were enlarging again.  When the revision was done, the surgeons discovered I had indeed blocked at the distal end. I have had my current system about three years and regularly heard the drainage noise (which reappeared after the first shunt revision) until recently.  It has stopped again.  My neurosurgeon had to leave practice due to a disability, and I am concerned that the new one will not believe me.  Am I crazy?
Hi, Thank you for your question. Possible causes of symptoms may be shunt is either under-draining or over-draining. Your doctor can assess this with a lumbar puncture and measures the fluid pressure. He or She may make some adjustment of the shunt to allow it to drain more and can monitor if the headache improve. Another possibility could be shunt is over-draining, that may lead to low CSF pressure that can also lead to headache. This may improve when the person lies down and gets worse when the person sits or stands. Other possibility could be migraine or cluster headache since these types of headaches are quite common. Even then if she suffers continuous headache, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the further underlying disorders here that may be the main reasons of her headaches and can suggest her appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you.