Neurology Community
Hyperbaric chamber and Alzheimer's disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My father in law was diagnosed with Alzheimer´s disease. Recently he was suggested to try hyperbaric chamber sessions. Is there any evidence this might help? He seems hopeful and we have encouraged him to go ahead, but I would like to know if we should expect any benefits from it.
Thanks for your help!
Hello.

The purpose of hyperbaric chamber is to supply more oxygen to the brain cells, so that the cell death slows how and the toxins are destroyed. Hyperbaric oxygen is an established treatment modality for Alzheimer's disease, for which, drugs are still the better option.

It will slow down the progression of symptoms of AD, but will not reverse the process. It can not recover the functions lost by the neuronal cell death.

Regards
Of course, doing both, medicine and hyperbaric would still be a great option. Look for hyperbaric centers that are "out of network" providers and the cost can be much less $150-$250 per dive instead of $2000. One in Birmingham, Alabama is affilliated with the Fritz Wellnes Institute at www.****.***