Neurology Community
Hypersensitive Skin

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hypersensitive Skin

Hi. I suffer quite often but not all the time, from hypersensitive skin. It feels as though it's been scalded and it hurts to touch that area. It may be on my face, top of my thigh, waist, calf; seems it strikes one side of my body at one time in different spots. It affected my calf this week, and I could barely walk on that leg. I have had neuro check ups with no results or findings that support any disease in particular. I've suffered from this for about 10 years and it's getting worse. I am very frustrated because I don't know what to do to help myself at this point. Does anyone else suffer from this and have you been diagnosed with anything or have you found a med or supplement that helps? I do suffer from hypothyroidism and an occasional migraine. I take Synthroid .75mcg. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

How are you?
Burning skin is very often a symptom of anxiety. Other causes can be thyroid dysfunction and fibromyalgia.
Please make sure your thyroid levels are within normal limits. Peripheral neuropathy due to diabetes or B12 deficiency can also cause burning symptoms.

i developed this a few weeks ago.  Patches of skin are becoming hypersensive on an almost daily basis.  It started with one on my back and I now have about fifteen, including some on my arms, legs and even a little one on one knuckle.  Very odd.  (I don't suffer from anything)

I'm off to the doctor tomorrow.  I think it may be stress related, but other than that I can't think of any medical explanation for it.  
I found that this symptom is sometimes referred to as cutaneous allodynia which means other skin pain.  It is often accompanies with migraines, although mine is not.  I think mine comes with my fibromyalgia.  For me both are made worse when eat sugar or simple carbs.  I just started Topamax which is often used for migraines to see if it will releive this skin pain, 2 days on it, and it seems to help already.

Other things I have tried that work:  neurontin and lyrica
I have experienced some of these symptoms in extream hot or cold heat where it leaves patches of rashes on my legs one on my calf, and one on my inner thigh. Then I started having hyper sensitive skin along with dizzy spells for a few weeks on and off. Yesterday I was on a walk with my girlfriend and all of a sudden I entered that dreamy dizzy feeling, and all of my skin on every part of my body felt hypersensitive. If I sit perfectly still in my bed it doesn't happen, but if I move a muscle, I can basically feel the thread count in my sheets. I went to the doctor today for them to take blood and say maybe I had a blood sugar imbalance... I don't know what to do! But the dogs can't even brush my leg without it hurting. Has anyone felt this before?
If all else checks out,  ask about Zonegran or Neurontin.

I am currently on Zonegran with much success, although I don't have the dizzy spells.

Sounds like it could be migraines.
i turned out to have watenberg's migratory sensory neurosis - completely cleared up now.

Earwigs100
earwigs, can you comment on the treatment you received for this or the diagnostics your doctor did?  Did you see a neuro or pysch for this treatment?  Thanks.
I also suffer from this, have been for over 5 years.  It used to just be once a year or so, this time it has been 2 times in less than a week. It affects my scalp, neck, back, top of thighs, face, and upper arms. It feels like a bad sunburn and I cannot stand anything to be touching me.  None of my doctors seem to know what it is.  I am on Lyrica for trigimenal neuralgia so that should take care of the symptoms if it were fibromyalgia.  Im also on Klonopin for trigeminal neuralgia so if it were anxiety, the Klonopin should be taking care of the hypersensitive skin.  As of the moment, I have an elevated white count, have been sick for 2 weeks, have moments of full on tremors where I cannot control my hands, arms or legs.  No one knows what this is either.  So if anyone knows of a good doctor in Arkansas who might can help me, can you please let me know?  I've seen 7 doctors in the last 2 weeks and no one knows what is wrong with me, they just know I have an infection somewhere but cannot pin point it.  Did I mention I am only 27?
It has been my experience that having an infection, even a cold will aggrevate the skin pain.  Focus on finding and fixing why your white cell count is high, I suspect that the skin pain might reduce after this is taken care of.  Try looking on Yelp or other internet review sites to find a good doctor.  I might try an endocrinologist or rheumatologist.  I would also recommend trying an elimination diet, start by taking out gluten, milk and cheese, and see it that doesn't help.  If you are hard core, try eating mostly raw or steamed green veges for about 2 weeks, and eliminating sugar, high carbs, caffinene and alcohol and anything fermented.  For some reason people like us that are hyper sensitive to everthing, this diet helps get us back on track.

God Bless
I FX'ed my patella and ruptured the ligaments 2 months ago  s/p MVA and it required anchors and wire to put it all together again.  Bone is healing wonderfully,  just starting phys. ther. program for range of motion and doing well.  I am experiencing super, hyper, sensitive skin all around my knee.  My husband just blew on it and I came unglued from the pain.  At my check up today,  the PA-C told me why this is going on and the name of the condition,  but I forgot the name.  Does anyone know the medical term?  It's just the nerve endings trying to reconnect.  HOWEVER,  if I don't get to desensitizing it fast,  it could become permanent.
To netnet979,  I believe the name is cutaneous allodynia.
I have been plagued by unilateral areas of hypersensitive skin for over 21 years now (I'm 46).  At first I thought it was ear infections as the pain often started deep inside one of my ears.  After nothing showed up on physical exam I was sent to a neurologist for CT scans and he told me that I probably had trigeminal neuralgia with glossopharyngeal neuralgia as well.  When I research those diagnoses, they don't fit my pain type.  The pain is often on one side of my head or the other, it spreads over the course of hours and days, involves my scalp to a level that I cannot touch or brush my hair, as every hair follicle hurts.  My eye will hurt to move and sometimes I can feel my food scraping one side of my throat on its way down.  Occasionally these pain patches will happen on areas of my torso, legs or arms.  Darvocet used to work for me with pain control but now it does not help at all.  I've also found that often these attacks are triggered by dental work or cleaning.  Often they are preceded or in conjunction with a fever blister in my nose or on my lip.  When I research post-herpetic neuralgia, my symptoms and pain type don't really fit that either.  I would love to know how to resolve this or at least know what to take when I feel it coming on, and to know what it is and what is causing it.
I have a situation similar to yours. I suffered a brain injury 4 yrs ago and suffered terribly with hypersensitive skin on the left side of my body and face. I was on Lyrica and stopped when I no longer suffered from it. Over the years I would feel it only when sick with a cold or flu. Now out of nowhere it's starting to come back on the RIGHT side of my face, ear, neck, shoulder and armpit. It's sickening. My hair cannot touch my face it hurts so much! they did that electro zapping test thing on my arms with no results. Several MRI's and tests and still nothin.
I am finding relief with Zonegran and Lyrica combined.  I have had this for 21 years.  I take the Lyrica in the evening and the Zonegran before bed.
I found several things that make it worse: eating high glycemic foods and not getting enough sleep.
Look up crps (complex regional pain syndrome) also known as rsd.
Hey Pacatex189, i ran across your post as i was trying to figure out my situation.  You described my symptoms perfectly.  I had dental work done 5 weeks ago, which seemed to trigger the problems.  10 days ago, a fever blister appeared.  The pain started in my ear, and is only on the left side of my face.   Skins is ultra sensitive. The pain and sensitivity seems to come and go.  Not sure if you ever found an answer to your problem....but i wanted to let you know you are not alone in your symptoms.

Best wishes
Hi, I have simular pain to yours. Did you ever find a diognosis?
That is EXACTLY what is happening to me right now....I mean to the T. have you figured out anything about how to deal with it?
I do know this - Its not Neurosis - its physical because I have it too -
An update for me, I am still getting relief from the Zonegran, I stopped the Lyrica and I am still symptom free.  My latest exploration is with a Ketogenic diet, basically it is a high saturated fat, low carb diet.  I have associated muscle and joint pain and stiffness that subside with the onset of this diet.
It is also used to help treat epilepsy, so it make sense that it could have similar effects as something like Zonegran which hits the temporal lobe.  
OMG i am so feeling this at the moment!  i have an ear ache on the left side-- the left side of my throat and nose hurt all the time -- and they do not hurt when i swallow - i have not been to the dr yet -  i am not congested. i cleaned my ears and cried thru the whole thing the canal was so sore   -- my skin aches and my hair folicles are sore as well   i have been popping  ibuprofen and pain aids at work and musenex - just in case it might be sinus related   i am going to give it a few more days then break down and go to the dr  
I am a victim of same condition that you guys are talking about. I was bed ridden for 2 weeks and had taken every possible test to diagnose my condition. But with little luck. The reports were normal, but my suffering was excruciating.
Then I decided to try Ayurvedic treatment methods. Within 2 weeks of prompt medicine intake, my condition started decreasing. All the sensitive patches began to disappear. Now Im left with less than 5% of patches and  that is not troubling me.
Please do not waste your time and health taking allopathic drugs. Try ayurvedic medicine, it really helps.
I think its a little short sided to think that burning sensation is a symptom of burning sensation. I think in reality, many symptoms are caused by subtle and unknown causes such as household and dietary chemicals, they have unknown effects and then the resulting symptoms are blamed on anxiety, which in turn puts the patient into anxiety from being misunderstood. I think professionals need to take a more intensive course in psychology, they have no idea of the negative sometime fatal impact this type of misdiagnosis can have on an already sick person.

Burning sensations for one have been associated with Vitamin E deficiency, which sometimes are cause by other supplements, for example, Omega 3 fatty acids.

In conclusion, I think calling everything a symptoms of Anxiety, is a cop-out.
"In conclusion, I think calling everything a symptoms of Anxiety, is a cop-out. "

Agreed, though it seems to be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the dodgy amateur diagnoses being put forth on this site, thinly disguised product advertisements and blatant google-farming (the guy further above dropping keywords to boost hits on his site selling medical MJ - I'm looking at you).

I can't help but wonder if these "contributors" would be as quick to submit foolish advice along the lines of "you should take drug xyz because it totally worked for me dude" if their anonymity were taken away.
I have had a raw, hypersensitive pain on my left side for 10 years now. My left side of my scalp is raw, it goes into my face , down my neck , back of my arm , down my back, into my buttocks, and back of my thigh. Its very very painful, feels like a very bad sunburn, and my joints hurt. Its only ever been on the left side. I am in very bad pain right now, my sheets, are hurting my skin and so are my clothes. If anyone knows what can help this or what this could be. please let me know. I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease 15 years ago and took a long intense treatment, and the pain gets worse, every year. It also comes in "episodes" I never know when it's gonna come and when it will go. Please help me.
After suffering with this same horrible symptom for 20 years, here is where I have found relief:

I have great relief from the combination of the following:

Work hard to get 9 or more hours of quality sleep a night, do what ever it takes ( black out your bedroom, reduce computer and TV time after 8PM, see meditation below).  For me it was getting restless legs under control, along with meditaton.

Reduce carbs and sugar intake to less than 100 grams per day, closer to 50 grams a day works better for me, any more and I start to get the skin pain.  You can read about the excito-toxicity of sugar in the brain.  You will feel sluggish for a week or two, but then that will subside, along with the sugar crashes you may already be having .  Eat plenty of fat in your diet to replace the carbs as an energy source.  Choose healthy fats: olive oil, avocado, coconut oil, grass feed butter (kerrys gold or kalona brand), pastured eggs, and meats.

Eliminate inflammatory oils (vegetable oils, industrial seed oils), replace with healthy fats above.

Eat plenty of low carb green and colorful veges: broccolli, cabbage, kale, spinach, berries.

Eliminate caffeine or any other stimulant like chocolate, taper off of caffeine to avoid headaches etc.

Reduce stress by choosing not to be around people that don't make you happy.  Reduce stress by daily mediation, here is my favorite guided meditation, scroll down on this page and look for Bodyscan: http://www.buddhanet.net/audio-meditation.htm

The drug Zonisamide has truly helped, but reducing carb/sugar intake is the most important for me.

If I have a flare up, acupuncture gives me almost instant relief.

Look into a whole foods diet, the paleo/primal diet works for me, there are others as well.

Labs you may want to have your doctor check:  Vitamin D level, saliva hormone profile (adrenal fatigue can play a big part in body pain), check zinc/copper ratios.

God Bless.
Thank You so much, just having you listen to me helps, no one understands, right now my scalp , and face, neck, upper back, side and buttocks, are throbbing, and raw! I try ben-gay but with bad attacks, it seems to make it worse. It used to help for a minute or two. I WISH someone could give me answers, I am tired of  doctors saying , they don't know. I really really suffer. I am going to ask my doctor about Zonisamide, and try it. Again I will practice the tips, you have given me. Again just having you comment and listen, (and believe me) just means the world to me.
Sorry the last comment I posted to myself , was for you, My memory is not the best when im in pain, Im sorry.
Glad I can help.  Let us know how you are doing.
For topical rubs, I have found that Peaceful Mountain brand back and neck
rescue works well, or anything with Arnica and or St. John's Wort extracts
are great for pain.  If you are willing, Accupuncture can give
immediate relief that will last for days or weeks.  Also try blacking
out your bed room windows at night, sleep quality is very important.
Having a low carb paleo style diet has helped me the most.  Google
"The Whole 30" and do their 30 day kickstart, I have never felt better
than when I was doing that.  Keep us posted, we are here for you, you
don't have to do this alone.