Neurology Expert Forum
Hypoplastic Left Cerebral Artery???
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hypoplastic Left Cerebral Artery???

Posted by MG on June 14, 1999 at 09:31:24
Dear Dr.
I had an MRI with an arterial study for headaches, joint pains and muscle fatigue.  The arterial MRI indicated a decreased uptake in the A1 segment of the ....indicating a "hypoplastic left cerebral artery". I do not have a follow-up with the neurologist; my family doctor relayed this info over the telephone.  In your opinion, is this just another one of those things MRIs pick up that are interesting but insignificant?  
MG

Posted by CCF Neuro MD MM on June 18, 1999 at 11:27:13
This is a you point out an interesting  but insignificant anatomical variant and has no serious significance at this point. The anatomy of our blood vessels both in the brain and elsewhere can be quite variable with the result that sometimnes a blood vessel on one side is larger ( dominant ) and the vessel on the other side is less well developed ( hypoplastic).
Since the blood vessels form links called anastamoses from side to side, the
side with the hypoplastic artery gets it full blood supply from these collateral branches.
This is a minor developmental variation and should not be a cause of concern to you.