Neurology Community
I believe what I have is Dercum's

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I believe what I have is Dercum's

Does any one else have Dercum's or know anyone that hs it? Need more info, please.
Adiposis dolorosa, also known as Dercum's disease is a rare disease characterized by multiple painful lipomas that arise in adult life. The disease occurs most often in obese postmenopausal women, but can also occur in men. Surveys of current sufferers seem to indicate that the disease causes the obesity. It also occurs in men and women of all ages. The fatty tumors are most often located on the trunk and limbs with sparing of the face and hands.For  more information on the disease , please visit the site - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiposis_dolorosa . Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !

Hi Jeannie133. I too think I have Dercum's disease. I wish you good luck in finding a physician who will listen to you and try to treat you. I have been through the ringer and feel like I am going crazy. Through the many physicians I have seen, they tell me nothing is wrong with me and that I should lose weight. I did not begin to gain weight until after I had these painful lipomas on my low back and multiple steriod injections (8+).
I did have a general surgeon take two of them out of my back about a year ago, but all that did was make it worse. They grew right back and now I have more pain than I did in the beginning. Nothing helps and I am lucky if my pain management doctor will give me pain pills for the chronic pain I am in. I have to take sleeping pills at night b/c my pain is so bad, I can't fall asleep on my own.
I sit all day at my job and talk about pain. I have to sit in 4 different positions during the day and use a pillow in my chair. Then, when I get home, my back hurts so bad, I can hardly stand to cook dinner and clean. When I lay down, I use a cold pack to help alleviate the pain. On the weekends, if I want to do housework, I have to double up on the pain pills just so I can get it done.
But yet the doctors tell me nothing is wrong with me, according to the diagnostic tests. I am only 30 yo and wanting to start a family. I am unable to attempt this b/c of the excessive pain and then if I can get close to my husband, the medication is keeping me from getting pregnant.
I am at a lost as to what to do or where to go for help. Some days I am so frustrated, I did not ask for this and I do not like to waste my hard earned money on doctor's visits, tests and medications. I would rather be happy and on my way to starting a family.
I have 3 on my back, two on the left side and and one on the right. I have one on each of my wrist and just noticed a new one on my chest near my clavicle. I know that most people w/ Dercum's have multiple and mine are very few, but who knows how many I will have in another year. I started out with just one and ended up with 6 within a year.