Neurology Expert Forum
I can't sleep at all because I feel like I'm on fire.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Ok, well. I tried taking a nap yesterday around 7PM and tried going to sleep until 9PM. Well, I was unable to, because I was waking up every 10 minutes just yeah..I'd doze off, wake up in a very odd pattern.

So, I went to bed around 6 AM This morning...I set my alarm for 10 AM I have to be somewhere this morning, so I figure 4 hours of sleep will suffice because I don't need to be up too long.

Well, I raise my window, put my box fan on it, turn that on, close my A/C vent and try to go to sleep.

Now, I wake up at 8:30 extremely 'toasty'. I feel like I'm on fire, but I'm not sweating an ounce. (Note I"m under a comforter) I'm also jittery and moving around a lot, completely unable to keep my legs still. I feel like I'm also phasing in and out of consciousness. I'm technically not (I think.) I'm also having a lot of mental pictures, they're also dream-like, but I'm not asleep. These mental images were of Atari games (I'm not kidding, I guess it was a random though on my mind) mixed with just general other thoughts. All of these mental pictures were kind of rapid and rather lucid.

I tried going back to sleep, but I'm completely unable to. Now that I'm out of bed, moving around I still feel unbearably toasty and unbelieveably tired.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Your symptoms are unusual, but given the description, they are unlikely to be due to an underlying neurologic disorder. Sometimes, restless sleep or sleep deprivation can lead to changes in the subsequent sleep cycle. For example, if someone does not sleep for around 48 hours and then goes to sleep, his/her sleep cycle will not start in normal pattern on stage I then stage II then stage III then REM sleep (this is the normal sleep cycle pattern). Rather, he/she may go straight into REM sleep, indicated by dreaming soon after falling asleep. This sleep cycle derangement corrects rapidly once sleeping time is caught up on.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.