Neurology Community
I can't sneeze

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I can't sneeze

This started two months ago, when I had a bad cold. I kept getting the strong urge to sneeze, and only was able to a few times ... I would say 1 out of 5-10 times I would be able to sneeze. But I recovered from my cold, and within about a week after my cold was gone, I was able to sneeze once again.  So I was able to sneeze normally for about a month, but now for the past week and a half, I haven't been able to sneeze again. I'll get the urge to, but very rarely can I sneeze. It's now been six days since I was able to sneeze at all. I've only gotten the urge to once or twice, but nothing comes.

When I wasn't able to sneeze the first time, I shook it off, thinking it was a weird part of my cold. Since it's happened the second time, I've been anxious. I've felt dizziness and neck pain, and I've been loosing sleep over it. I haven't really had headaches, but I've been making myself believe I have them. I know these are normal anxiety symptoms, and they go completely away when I'm having a good time and stress-free. I don't even know if I remember what it's like to feel normal because I've been so anxious.

So my question is this: If this were a serious problem, I wouldn't have been able to sneeze normally for the month or so that I was able to, right? And my other symptoms (which I think/hope are anxiety-related) would be more disruptive to my everyday life?

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, but I'm in one of my anxious modes right now.

Please relax this does not sound like a serious medical problem but more or less related to stress and anxiety.
I would suggest you to do some deep breathing exercises every day to relax yourself. Make a list of all the things that are making you anxious and also what you can do to set them right. Eat regularly, drink lots of water and sleep for at least 8 hrs in the night.

How are you now? I am having the same problem. Get sensation but just cannot sneeze. It's as if I'm scared to sneeze internally!

This started when I jump backwards into the swimming pool and got severe upper body sprain for 5-6 days. Now muscle pain is gone but just cannot sneeze.

I feel perfectly fine...but this bugging me a lot!

Any advice for me ?
I have not sneezed for at least ten years easily. I wonder why. I rarely get the feeling that I have a sneeze coming. I am very prone to allergies and for the last one and a half years have had a runny nose. Constantly running. I feel very tired and sometimes stuffy but I DO NOT FEEL ANY SNEEZE at all coming on. So this worries me.. Is there something wrong with me?  Samrell