Neurology Expert Forum
I don't know what to do next... Please help.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have been through two sleep studies and I get no deep sleep. In both studies, I was in bed for about 8 hours. They said I spent about 3 hours in level one and two, none in levels 3 or 5 and 2-3 minutes of REM or level 5.

Let me provide a little back ground. I was never on any medication until going through a tramatic divorce about 6 years ago. Since that time, I have had many health problems. I am now on Benicar, Paxil, Hyomax, Trilipix, Klonopin and Tizanadine. The dctors have tried me on every sleep med they can think of and none of it works. In both sleep studies, I was on sleep meds.  

During the divorce, I stopped sleeping, my blood pressure got really high, I had constant heartburn and migraines. I really haven't been right since. That being said, my life is great. I have a great wife, great kids, job etc...

In addition to the other health issues, I now have neurocardiogenic syncope. I can just be washing my truck and pass out. When I wake, I am sick to my stomach and very tired for days. The doctor put me through a stress test and had me wear the monitor for 30 days and saw no serious issues. Then, they had me do a tilt table test and my heart raced, then stopped.

Anyway, here is my issue. The last sleep study has been about a year ago. The doctor says I do not have sleep apnea. Even though, during my 3 minutes of REM, I quit breathing twice. Also, I know that if I sleep on my back, I quit breathing. The doc tells me to sleep on my side. As far as not getting any deep sleep, the sleep clinic doctor just suggested I take a good sleep med. I was taking 20mgs of ambien, plus 4 mgs of Klonopin plus 8 mgs of tizanadine during the sleep study... basically, the sleep clinic doctor was absolutely no help.

I am asking for help, but do not know where to go for help??  I live outside of Tyler, Texas and am willing to travel wherever I need to travel to get this fixed. I
Any help will be very appreciated.

Thank you
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to obtain a history from you and examine you, I can not comment on a formal diagnosis or treatment plan for your symptoms. However, I will try to provide you with some information regarding this matter.

Has the sleep clinic given you a diagnosis such as sleep apnea? Many of the symptoms you describe can be attributed to sleep apnea. This is more likely to occur in people who snore but can occur in anyone. Symptoms include snoring, daytime sleepiness, lack of concentration, and headaches. Untreated, sleep apnea can cause many medical problems, and with treatment many symptoms improve. The diagnosis is made by a sleep study, called a polysomnogram, and treatment involves a mask placed over the nose and/or mouth that is adjusted to improve ventilation during sleep.

Is the sleep clinic run by neurologist or pulmonologist? I would suggest that you find a sleep clinic that is run by neurologist given the constellation of symptoms you describe such as the syncope. I am not familiar with Tyler, Texas, area, but you may be able to find a center through an Internet search engine.

Thank you for using the forum, I hope you find this information useful, good luck.