I hear radio stations in my head
I hear radio stations in my head. It is not like a tune you heard and "just can't get get it out of your head". For an example, this morning when I awoke I seemed to have tuned in to an Elvis station. Sometimes the songs are in a loop just repeating over and over and sometimes I get the whole thing with announcers and news. If I block my ears tightly I can hear a high frequency pulsing. I have anxiety attacks and suffer from sleeplessness and depression. I also on occassion tremble so intensely that I am unable to even lift a glass of water, write or stand still. I suffer from anything from nagging headaches to migrane. I hope you  can help
Hello, That is so Strange you should mention that. The same has happened to me, recently as well. I hear Static Radio. Then I hear what seems to be news, or talk shows. It mainly happens, when I am asleep, and about to awaken, or when I am about to fall into a deep sleep.  Its so strange. But i am not depressed, or do not suffer from Anxiety attacks, or Stress!! Of course I dont tell people about this, because they will think I am Crazy or something. But It has happened to me only 5 or 6 times, in the past 5 Months. Do you have any idea why ?? And I don't suffer from migranes, or headaches.
Yeah I only have it when I'm laying in bed, when I prop my head up it stops, had my blood pressure checked and that was fine, ear plugs also helped me which added to me thinking I was nuts, cause I thought it mustn't be in my mind if ear plugs worked. Lol, Google can be helpful at times.
I think I had once heard it can happen with tooth fillings..have you googled this?
Curious indeed. I've been experiencing all kinds of extra sounds lately. I think it began about 4 or 5 months ago. The sounds, although not radio stations are secondary to a sound everyone else can hear and unique to each sound itself. Example: In the shower, the sound of running water; if you are in the shower you can hear the water and if someone knocks on the door while you are in the shower you will hear that secondary. With shower water running, I hear what sounds like one of those flexible plastic tubes kids spin in the air to make a weird noise. When the furnace turns on, I hear what sounds like a truck running, but not as distinct. Everything seems to have a secondary sound lately ...I kind of was losing my mind over it, but have written it off to hearing "energy" from these things ...I don't know if that makes sense but it's allowed me to sleep better at night ;)
I have this too! I have had this since I was a child, I would tell my mom I heard music and she thought I was nuts. I pick up radio stations, static, and news. I was sitting in bed one morning (completely awake by the way, I was eating breakfast and drinking tea) and clear as day I heard music in my head, and a traffic report for a specific highway, then the station name as they went back to playing music. I googled the road they were talking about as well as the station name and it was in Kansas somewhere. At the time this happened, I was living in Canada. WHAT the heck?? I spent the rest of the day thinking I was nuts, since prior to that I always assumed the music was just in my head or my imagination. That confirmed that it was real and actually coming from a radio. The only person I've ever told is my mom, anyone else would think I was crazy. It happened again just now, I seemed to have mentally tapped into something and I googled "hearing radio in your head", which led me to this site. WEIRD. Someone should study this, I would love to know why this happens to me! Glad I'm not the only one though!!
Tara
I have this happen to me on a daily basis. The only person I have ever told was my mom. She looks at me as if I have lost my marbles too. I have only discussed it with her once or twice and that was a few months ago. I am 42 years old. I am the mother of an autistic child and my dad had two first cousins diagnosed with schizophrenia back in the 50's (one which truly is and the other which was more than likely autism as well). I have suffered from Trigeminal Neuralgia and Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, Depression, & Anxiety since the age of 17...when I had a Maxillofacial Oral Surgery that left me with this chronic pain which since then I have also been diagnosed with Occipital Neuralgia, Essential Tremors, etc. I have amalgam (mercury) fillings still intact that were put in place from childhood. I have no idea if this could be an issue or not. All I know is I am fully aware that it is not "normal". I don't know why I hear this. Usually it sounds like a far off distant rock radio station of some sort but it is so faded out that I could never make out the songs or specific music for sure and sometimes it sounds like it goes over to news. It is much more prominent when I am near central air units/ducts for some reason while they are on...but it is not the ONLY time it happens. It also has happened when water is running and when other things are going on. It does sometimes even happen when it is dead silent in my home. I will think my son got out of bed and turned his tv back on or something and I will go upstairs to check and everything is off and he is sleeping. It is very odd. It's a creepy feeling. I wish JUST ONCE I could make out words but it is always very muffled sounding.
I have been hearing a buzzing noise then almost like multiple radio stations playing on top of each other. I thought it was bad tinnitus but lately I have been getting super dizzy and hearing them louder to where I can almost pick out songs I know. The funny thing is I have a pacemaker (I am 26 and got it when I was 19) and thats when I started having minor episodes of it that have just gotten worse over the years. I got a silver tooth filling last month and thats when the severe dizziness and loudest radio interception started. Could I actually be getting radio station interception? Ones that are intercepting my brain waves near the same frequency? I am starting to get headaches along with the dizziness and the noises are getting louder and don't just go away in minutes the episodes which are frequent are starting to last hours and lead to migraines.
Hi... I'm in Indiana and I've had a similar experience... I am currently a registered nurse....... I was hearing noises in my head and thought someone was outside my house with a radio... and after that was proven incorrect, I eliminated the baby monitor as a source.  I have heard specific songs, which I can name, but I can't find which station they are playing on.  I even hear an announcer's voice every once in a while.  I am getting my degree in neuroscience and intend to do much more research on this.  I will hopefully publish what I find out about the whole thing.  So I may come back asking for people to give details in the future :-)
How's the book going?  If you need feedback, I can help
My wife & I started having the same experience at night going to sleep with a fan on.  We were afraid to mention it to each other!

I did a little digging and found that many are experiencing the phenom.  For me it is never a tune I van follow. maybe 8 or 10 notes that go nowhere and repeat.  Sometimes it is a male singer or 2 people talking.  You can hear the attitudes in the voices but really can't make out thee sentences.

The best and most reasonable explanation i found has to do with "write noise" and the way our brain processes information that it picks up through our ears. When we hear an unfamiliar sound our brains go into gear to identify and make sense out of the sound.  "White noise" is basically static sound from around our homes from fans and other sources. White noise is a jumble of distant noises but our good ol' brains have to turn it into something familiar... something that makes sense.  Our brains come up with music pieces that we can't identify that match as closely as possible the quiet noises we are hearing... or our brains may come up with voices speaking unknown words.

Of all the explanations I like the above the best.

The main thing is you are not alone.
Pops

The main thing is you are not alone.
Pops
THIS explanation makes most sense to ME. I have just recently started using a fan at night to help block out the noise coming from roommate who wakes up VERY early and I hear radio talk shows constantly now!  I'm 47 and never had I used a fan to get to sleep and never have I heard noises like this!  Thank you!!!!!
Omg yes!!!  I live in a usually cooler climate but this summer has been very hot so we started using me a fan, this musical ear syndrome started back up again, first time I had this was when I lived in a hotter climate...and used a fan every night! Damn thing is going off from now on.
I felt like i was all alone with this, I can make a static sound in my head on cue . One night about 4 years ago , I was laying down comfortable and my wife layed down next to me and I turned on the sound and then I  was paralyzed and just like the other said, I head a news station tune in . A man was doing sports . I could hear as if he was right next to me.. When I tuned on the sound it also tuned into a very high pitched frequency and then I heard a man speaking. What is this thing that we have discovered????????
I have kept this to myself since a kid. My mom didnt believe me or maybe she just couldnt understand either way I could tell it wasnt something I needed to keep telling people about after the way she made me feel when telling her. I feel like I can control the volume better now that Im older but I still at 36 years old hate going to bed at night by my self because when its quite It scares me cause its so clear and so clearly a radio and it wont stop or shut off. It's so strange I feel that some of the talk voices are trying to talk to me because of a change of depth in one voice. I've tryed to make myself listen and not get up and turn on the tv to hear something else. When I did it was happening real bad every night at bed the radio would come on thats no big deal anymore that happens daytime night time but its clearly a radio station but for like 3 nights it sounded like a man breaking thru static but like flipping around stations. I didnt want to hear nothing couldnt sleep. Well I ended up telling my boy friend what was happening and he was nice about it. That next night i was laying on his chest and was falling asleep when very loud and clear a mans voice said in my other ear not the ear to my mans chest the open one "I didnt mean to scare you" It was so loud to me I couldnt believe my man couldnt hear that .there was no radio sound to warn me. I jumped up very upset in disbelief of what he said as if he had heard me tell my boyfriend in our house earlyer that I was scared because of this being diff. than before. I didnt want to tell anyone about the radio cause I'm not a dumb *** it sounds crazy. I do want to know if it's medical, is this as crazy as it sounds to people who cant judge me. I dont want to be alone any more.
You are not alone.  Hope you have googled 'musical ear syndrome'.
I have kept this to myself since a kid. My mom didnt believe me or maybe she just couldnt understand either way I could tell it wasnt something I needed to keep telling people about after the way she made me feel when telling her. I feel like I can control the volume better now that Im older but I still at 36 years old hate going to bed at night by my self because when its quite It scares me cause its so clear and so clearly a radio and it wont stop or shut off. It's so strange I feel that some of the talk voices are trying to talk to me because of a change of depth in one voice. I've tryed to make myself listen and not get up and turn on the tv to hear something else. When I did it was happening real bad every night at bed the radio would come on thats no big deal anymore that happens daytime night time but its clearly a radio station but for like 3 nights it sounded like a man breaking thru static but like flipping around stations. I didnt want to hear nothing couldnt sleep. Well I ended up telling my boy friend what was happening and he was nice about it. That next night i was laying on his chest and was falling asleep when very loud and clear a mans voice said in my other ear not the ear to my mans chest the open one "I didnt mean to scare you" It was so loud to me I couldnt believe my man couldnt hear that .there was no radio sound to warn me. I jumped up very upset in disbelief of what he said as if he had heard me tell my boyfriend in our house earlyer that I was scared because of this being diff. than before. I didnt want to tell anyone about the radio cause I'm not  dumb I know it sounds crazy. I do want to know if it's medical. I could relate to what you said about causing it or being able to tune in. When I was a kid it was just radio changing chan. but as Ive gotten older if I focus on what Im hearing sometimes its like someone breaking thru the static or trying to. I get scared I dont feel right then. I also get the high pitched noise and weather, sports, talk radio, music. One person said it could come from teeth fillings. Ive never had a filling never had anything metal or anything like that to blame it on. I'd love to know what this is. Iam glad to hear im not alone. I dont believe there's alot of radio heads out there cause this is the first I've heard others describe what goes on with me. Ive tryed asking others before. You ever hear a radio in your head playing songs and flipping chan? lol Someone needs to look at all of our brains maybe some wires got crossed some where lol!! You have a wonderful day Lis_Marie
Thank you! I would help in anyway possible. I've been like this for as far back as I can remember. A child and I'm 35 now. I'd love to be able to explain this. The older I get the harder it has become to just blow it off like no big deal. My good since and logical thinking are not able to make heads or tales of this. I know I'm not crazy but I also know there has always been a radio with many stations on it flipping around in my ear head. No one else can hear it. When I was a kid I'd ask where's that music coming from? I thought everyone I knew was just deaf. Then as I got older, I realized I could start to control it. It's very strange. It get's scary to me now at times. I feel like there's a wire crossed in my brain some where and it makes it easy for energy or sound waves radio waves something to come thru. Thank you again you have a wonderful day Lis_Marie
Hi, I just wanted to write down my experience. Every so often i start to hear a high pitched ringing in my ear and its like one ear goes deaf for a few seconds. I usually think nothing of it even though I've wondered why it happens. Today at work though I heard the ringing, my one ear went deaf and i heard what sounded like a radio station very clearly. I can't explain it as just mistaking some "white noise" for something else because it was so clear. I ignored it and shool my head a little and it went away after a second or two. Looking up why it happened led me here.
This has been happening to me the last few years, first I only heard a jazz station, playing a great tune, but I have a hard time staying with the music. I want the music to continue, but I think I wake up a little and loose it. Now I'm hearing radio announcers. On nights that this happens, I usually have a few night mares thrown in. Makes for a real nice sleeping experience..
This happened to me last Thursday when my BP may have caused the left side of my head to go numb. The CT scan showed no stroke damage and thankfully I am taking Xeralto or it could have been a stroke.
Since last Thursday I am totally deaf in the left ear and my tinitus is 400% worse. currently I am hearing multiple stations on top of each other.
I should also mention that I have two titanium plates. The first one was for my right ankle. After I was able to go back to work, I was walking through the big parking lot with my cell phone in my pocket and various vehicles would unlock as I walked by them. And now this radio head situation.
This literally happened to me Monday. I had bad fever Sun pm, and Sunday night I could hear weird repetitive (Eastern Euroean?) music repeating. The next night it was some sort of operatic. Last night it was Man Utd commentary, recognisably Martin (I can't recall is surname). This am!!!! Radio on the dishwasher. I was in the adjacent toilet thinking, hold on I can hear a radio. My wife has dismissed all this. So I thought,, I get her in there 'cos it was so loud. Imagine her surprise when I started singing of Shakin' Steven's Xma songs. Coming from her legs. So I went and flushed  the toilet. OMG!
you're all sleeper cylons
My husband and I both hear radio stations in our heads. It has been happening for at least the last two years. I can't even remember how it got brought up. We were my husband's sister's. I don't know which one of us brought it up. It's exactly like a radio station though..music...talking..slight stactic. I just asked him last night in bed b/c we hadn't talked about it since about two years ago. He still hears it too. Is tgete something wrong with us or is it something else???
I am surprised to read how many other experiance this. If anyone figures out how or why this happens please post. This usually happens a few times a week. We do have the fan on alot but there are times in the winter when I don't always have the fan on and it continues to happen. My husband and I both realized that this usually happens when we are laying down. I hear it usually when laying down and end up lifting my head b/c I think it's the alarm clock playing a radio station then realize the room is silent.
I woke up with tinnitus one day in my 30s that was 15 yrs or more ago.  It never went away.  I have the odd ransom moment or day when it just stops and it is bliss.  
In relation to to the comments above I hear radio stations, choirs, short bursts of hissing, sudden crash noises... as well as the constant hissing/ringing.

I confess it doesn't really bother me that much... you do get used to.  Watching TV with headphones seems to offer some relief.

My point here is I was put on prednisolone for another reason a year or so ago and bliss..... no more phantom noises or hissing.  I was on it for about 4 months.... loved the stuff... though it seriously isn't good for you.

I told the doctor of my observations and he said :that's interesting".  I am sure he did not believe me
I have Sirius radio - I usually keep it on the "Bridge" a soft rock channel playing music of the 70s. This morning I got into my car turned it on. The volume of the radio was turned down all the way - I could not hear - Christopher Crosses Sailing was playing in my head - I looked at the LED screen on my radio and it said Christopher Cross/Sailing. I didn't turn up the volume to audible for a few seconds and just looked at the screen. Sirius is, of course, Satellite. I've had other experiences with Radio, since I was about 12 as I can remember.  I did think that possible, although my radio was turn down an inaudible level, some small amount was coming through - Any thoughts from anyone?
I also have this. Right now "Noel Noel" is playing. This morning it was a bunch of wacky unnerving music playing. I also am uncomfortable about telling anyone. Now it is "Happy Birthday". Can people look into this? I believe this is very intrusive. How about the FBI or Federal Government. Has anyone heard if someone can do something about this? Someone or business has to be doing this deliberately.
Ok, so this is totally weird.  This exact same thing happened to me one time about 3 years ago. I think about it often, such as tonight.  So I finally decided to google "hear radio station in head" or something, and I found this site.  To my amazement I am not alone.  What it sounded like was clear as day.  It was very quiet in the house and it was as if I had tuned into a real freaking radio station for maybe 5-10 seconds.  I wish I knew what they were talking about. I have only told my wife and yes, sounds crazy.  I heard this very clear audible radio station, but was inside my ear, like I was wearing a small ear piece.  I too have several fillings in my teeth as well as 2 gold caps in the back.  Can this be related somehow?  I know it sounds strange to even type about it.  I need to do some more research.  Additionally, I am in very good health, in the military and cant imagine any reason why I would pick up a radio station.  Of course I get songs stuck in my head sometimes, but this was way different.
I know this is an old thread but because it is still frequented, I want to point people to look into MES (Musical Ear Syndrome), which is actually fairly common, and sounds like what many here may suffer from. I found this thread because I have the same issues of thinking I am hearing radio stations in my head, especially when on the edge of sleep, but sometimes also when I'm clearly awake.
I began hearing radio stations 5 yrs ago, after going deaf in my left ear. The hearing loss is from prolonged exposure to compressed air, I have always used air tools as a Auto Mechanic for the past 27 yrs. The Radio Frequencies are usually a soft murmur, but louder when i'm exhausted (like when you hear the pulsing flow of blood in your neck arteries below the ear after a god yawn)....you guys do hear blood flow too, right? The Radio Stations I hear are emitted by moving electric fans, ceiling, window,  hard drives, even the A/C fan in my car. The spinning fan seems to cut the radio waves frequency. Luckily, after trying ti match the station in my head to a portable radio (with an ear piece in my good ear) I have found out that I can change the station in my head by changing the fan speed setting. Higher speeds= higher stations up the dial. Lower speeds= most often, Muisica de Mexicana! Country is speed 5 on the Patton floor fan, and 3 on the living room ceiling fan! This was the only way my wife of 25 years finally believed me. I told her to go turn on the stereo to 103.5 the local Country Station, and I bet you "Red Solo Cup" is playing. She now listens to me...and is a FAN of Electrophonic Hearing.
I hear what sounds like old radio shows. Yesterday I was bombarded with a bugle playing reveled  tonight I keep hearing a speech by Ronald Reagan with "Hail to the chief" in the background. An old anchor Dan Rather I think talks during part of it. I can hear a lot of the words from Reagan but quite make out all of the anchor follow up.
Hello Wendy! Let me first say that nobody finds hearing things that are not there pleasant but let me reassure you that you are not hearing radio. The brain and skull are inefficient at converting radio signals into audio, if it did we all would be having this problem.

You did mention though that you suffer from sleeplessness. My question to you regarding this is how often are you hearing these sounds and when? Being tired can lead to audio hallucinations. When we are fatigued or very tired and hear soft sounds in our environment our brains effectively try to make sense of  them using memory or subconscious imagination. What you're hearing is the brain's interpretation of a physical sound in your environment as something you've heard before or imagined. Looping of these sounds is certainly a symptom of audiotory hallucinations.

When I use to go 24 hours of no sleep I would hear Mario party and the Simpsons in regular fan noises from computers or the buzz of lights.

Now because you have mentioned other symptoms such depression and headaches I would consider taking this concern to a medical professional for further investigation. I think it is highly likely that your issues are primarily linked to sleeplessness, but it's best to check all the symptoms for other causes.
Hello all:

WHEN MY BLOOD PRESSURE IS HIGH I HEAR THE RADIO STATIONS.  Sometimes a different station in each ear. It is physical and not psycological. The stations become more defined with white or pink noise.

The first time it happened I thought I was going crazy....what the hell? I searched the entire house for a radio playing but there was none. I could hear it clearly in the heating vents when they were running so I thoroughly checked the furnace and the basement.  I asked my children if they could hear it and they said no. I have exhaustively linked the occurances to one thing.......my blood pressure. I could hear them day and night with high blood pressure.

With normal BP there are no radio stations in my hearing. I have had completely normal pressure for three years now.  It is absolutely not a psycological event to hear radio playing unless you hear the same thing over and over....that is something different.  Good luck all....check your BP.
After reading hundreds of reports on this subject I have a discovery here!

WHEN YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE IS HIGH YOU ARE ABLE TO HEAR (NOT IN YOUR MIND BUT IN YOUR EARS) THE RADIO STATIONS.

Sometimes you will hear a different station in each ear. It is physical and not psychological. The stations become more defined with white or pink noise.

The first time it happened I thought I was going crazy....what the hell? I searched the entire house for a radio playing but there was none. I could hear it clearly in the heating vents when they were running so I thoroughly checked the furnace and the basement. I asked my children if they could hear it in the vents and they said no. I have exhaustively linked the occurances to one thing.......my blood pressure.

I could hear them day and night with high blood pressure. With normal BP there are no radio stations in my hearing. I have had completely normal blood pressure for three years now.
It is absolutely not a psychological event to hear radio playing unless you hear the same thing over and over....that is something different. Good luck all....you are not crazy, just check your BP.
This happened to me for first time today. Very odd and disturbing. I have so many questions. I herd a commercial, a radio announcer and then a song. I read that it's just my brain compensating for my hearing loss. How can my brain remember that in such detail when I can't remember where I put my keys most of the time? I'm confused, and quite honestly a little scared
You are welcome! Thank you for commenting and good luck.
Google, Musical Ear Syndrome.  I have it and have now known the name of it for five minutes!!!  Yay im not crazy...now back to my own personal radio station I cant quite hear...lol
some might be caused by high bp,  but when it happened to me I first saw blue orbs then the white noise then the switching of radio stations after I heard a radio announcer that sounded like he was from the 50s. Im not going to lie i hear the high pitch ringing in my ear daily but actually tuning in to a station had me freaked out. Whatever it was felt it and stopped automatically. Since then I have been chasing the station sound ever since, that was 2 years ago.
"near central air units/ducts??".... (or near radio's for me) This is exactly what happens to me. I can make out the songs and its the theme song from the night before TV show that I watched or its the news. It started in the middle of the night. Its very annoying and kept me up all night.

Did you ever figure out why?

For myself I have bad hearing in one ear and when I plug this ear I can hear a ringing. When I am near central air units/ducts or near radio's I can make out the theme song from last nights TV show or its the news. It started in the middle of the night. Its very annoying and kept me up all night.

Let me know if you ever find out why.

What a relief to see this happens to others. My husband does the finger twirling at the temple thing to me when I talk about it and says it's called crazy :)
Mine started summer of 2015 and was always a country station. The first time it was the same two country songs, then a DJ talking and then repeat the same 2 songs and exact same DJ break...so basically a loop. I was at our cabin in the middle of  nowhere and we had a window AC unit running. When I turned it off the loop stopped and when I turned it back on I could hear it again. That kept up for two days and of course when my husband got there 3 days later I couldn't make it happen again. However, several times that week I could hear faint country songs that were no longer the same ones/loop I was hearing before. I was hearing consecutive songs just as if a radio station would play them.  They were always when everything was quiet and were no longer just when A/C was on but not as clear as the first time so I had to concentrate to make the songs out. I also noticed it sometimes seemed like it was coming from across the room where the cabins fuse box is. I decided the A/C and fuse box somehow picked up a station and let it go. Then this past January I spent 6 weeks at the cabin and since it was winter the A/C unit wasn't even still in the window and I literally heard clear country songs (all current hits) randomly almost every day and night. I even heard them in my car in cabin driveway. I did notice a connection between any "energy" device such as electric heater, recessed lights, cabins fuse box etc and with running water when I showered. One time in my car in cabins driveway right after I turned the engine on I heard it.  I identified the song then turned on car radio and flipped through country stations and found the station I was actually hearing. I tested that through the next song and it was definitely that station. It was maddening and I assumed the reason my husband could never hear it was because his hearing is damaged from years of gunshots while hunting. He did start to believe me after I identified the song then found it actually playing on radio. The part I haven't told him is 1/2 way through that 6 week stay I made an overnight trip back to our main residence and before heading back to cabin I took a shower.  I heard it during that shower too and could hear every word clearly....I even identified the song. After that song was finished it went right into another country hit just like it would on a radio station. Since no one else was home the house was dead silent and the only noise was the running water and the songs. That blew my theory that it was  somehow related to our cabin's location and the fact that since the cabin is located on all wooded acreage in the middle of nowhere there's no normal city or suburb noise. The only constant I can find is a quiet environment coupled with either running water or something mechanical/electrical. We do have a large creek directly behind the cabin that has constant running water and I also noticed I could count on hearing the station when it rained and for awhile after a heavy rain  when the creek was moving faster.
Ah I'm so glad I'm not the only one, I was beginning to think it was psychological but I could cleary hear stations and frequencies. What a relief, I also suffer from high blood pressure.
All these people here seem a tad touched in the head. It could be a simple case of adhd. It's very common to have song playing in your head all day (ranging from a few lines to large parts of a song), espescially if you have ADHD.
Using words and phrases like "crazy" and "touched in tha head" not only shows your ignorance to the subject, but also your lack of of home training and sensitivity towards others. I have been to the Dr. Since my last post and it is simply an auditory hallucination due to my hearing loss and tinnitus. Please inform yourself on subjects before making uneducated and out right ignorant post.