Neurology Community
I hear radio stations in my head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I hear radio stations in my head

I hear radio stations in my head. It is not like a tune you heard and "just can't get get it out of your head". For an example, this morning when I awoke I seemed to have tuned in to an Elvis station. Sometimes the songs are in a loop just repeating over and over and sometimes I get the whole thing with announcers and news. If I block my ears tightly I can hear a high frequency pulsing. I have anxiety attacks and suffer from sleeplessness and depression. I also on occassion tremble so intensely that I am unable to even lift a glass of water, write or stand still. I suffer from anything from nagging headaches to migrane (migraine). I hope you  can help
Hello, That is so Strange you should mention that. The same has happened to me, recently as well. I hear Static Radio. Then I hear what seems to be news, or talk shows. It mainly happens, when I am asleep, and about to awaken, or when I am about to fall into a deep sleep.  Its so strange. But i am not depressed, or do not suffer from Anxiety attacks, or Stress!! Of course I dont tell people about this, because they will think I am Crazy or something. But It has happened to me only 5 or 6 times, in the past 5 Months. Do you have any idea why ?? And I don't suffer from migranes (migraines), or headaches.
I think I had once heard it can happen with tooth fillings..have you googled this?
Curious indeed. I've been experiencing all kinds of extra sounds lately. I think it began about 4 or 5 months ago. The sounds, although not radio stations are secondary to a sound everyone else can hear and unique to each sound itself. Example: In the shower, the sound of running water; if you are in the shower you can hear the water and if someone knocks on the door while you are in the shower you will hear that secondary. With shower water running, I hear what sounds like one of those flexible plastic tubes kids spin in the air to make a weird noise. When the furnace turns on, I hear what sounds like a truck running, but not as distinct. Everything seems to have a secondary sound lately ...I kind of was losing my mind over it, but have written it off to hearing "energy" from these things ...I don't know if that makes sense but it's allowed me to sleep better at night ;)
I have this too! I have had this since I was a child, I would tell my mom I heard music and she thought I was nuts. I pick up radio stations, static, and news. I was sitting in bed one morning (completely awake by the way, I was eating breakfast and drinking tea) and clear as day I heard music in my head, and a traffic report for a specific highway, then the station name as they went back to playing music. I googled the road they were talking about as well as the station name and it was in Kansas somewhere. At the time this happened, I was living in Canada. WHAT the heck?? I spent the rest of the day thinking I was nuts, since prior to that I always assumed the music was just in my head or my imagination. That confirmed that it was real and actually coming from a radio. The only person I've ever told is my mom, anyone else would think I was crazy. It happened again just now, I seemed to have mentally tapped into something and I googled "hearing radio in your head", which led me to this site. WEIRD. Someone should study this, I would love to know why this happens to me! Glad I'm not the only one though!!
Tara
I have this happen to me on a daily basis. The only person I have ever told was my mom. She looks at me as if I have lost my marbles too. I have only discussed it with her once or twice and that was a few months ago. I am 42 years old. I am the mother of an autistic child and my dad had two first cousins diagnosed with schizophrenia back in the 50's (one which truly is and the other which was more than likely autism as well). I have suffered from Trigeminal Neuralgia and Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, Depression, & Anxiety since the age of 17...when I had a Maxillofacial Oral Surgery that left me with this chronic pain which since then I have also been diagnosed with Occipital Neuralgia, Essential Tremors, etc. I have amalgam (mercury) fillings still intact that were put in place from childhood. I have no idea if this could be an issue or not. All I know is I am fully aware that it is not "normal". I don't know why I hear this. Usually it sounds like a far off distant rock radio station of some sort but it is so faded out that I could never make out the songs or specific music for sure and sometimes it sounds like it goes over to news. It is much more prominent when I am near central air units/ducts for some reason while they are on...but it is not the ONLY time it happens. It also has happened when water is running and when other things are going on. It does sometimes even happen when it is dead silent in my home. I will think my son got out of bed and turned his tv back on or something and I will go upstairs to check and everything is off and he is sleeping. It is very odd. It's a creepy feeling. I wish JUST ONCE I could make out words but it is always very muffled sounding.
I have been hearing a buzzing noise then almost like multiple radio stations playing on top of each other. I thought it was bad tinnitus but lately I have been getting super dizzy and hearing them louder to where I can almost pick out songs I know. The funny thing is I have a pacemaker (I am 26 and got it when I was 19) and thats when I started having minor episodes of it that have just gotten worse over the years. I got a silver tooth filling last month and thats when the severe dizziness and loudest radio interception started. Could I actually be getting radio station interception? Ones that are intercepting my brain waves near the same frequency? I am starting to get headaches along with the dizziness and the noises are getting louder and don't just go away in minutes the episodes which are frequent are starting to last hours and lead to migraines.
Hi... I'm in Indiana and I've had a similar experience... I am currently a registered nurse....... I was hearing noises in my head and thought someone was outside my house with a radio... and after that was proven incorrect, I eliminated the baby monitor as a source.  I have heard specific songs, which I can name, but I can't find which station they are playing on.  I even hear an announcer's voice every once in a while.  I am getting my degree in neuroscience and intend to do much more research on this.  I will hopefully publish what I find out about the whole thing.  So I may come back asking for people to give details in the future :-)
My wife & I started having the same experience at night going to sleep with a fan on.  We were afraid to mention it to each other!

I did a little digging and found that many are experiencing the phenom.  For me it is never a tune I van follow. maybe 8 or 10 notes that go nowhere and repeat.  Sometimes it is a male singer or 2 people talking.  You can hear the attitudes in the voices but really can't make out thee sentences.

The best and most reasonable explanation i found has to do with "write noise" and the way our brain processes information that it picks up through our ears. When we hear an unfamiliar sound our brains go into gear to identify and make sense out of the sound.  "White noise" is basically static sound from around our homes from fans and other sources. White noise is a jumble of distant noises but our good ol' brains have to turn it into something familiar... something that makes sense.  Our brains come up with music pieces that we can't identify that match as closely as possible the quiet noises we are hearing... or our brains may come up with voices speaking unknown words.

Of all the explanations I like the above the best.

The main thing is you are not alone.
Pops

The main thing is you are not alone.
Pops
I felt like i was all alone with this, I can make a static sound in my head on cue . One night about 4 years ago , I was laying down comfortable and my wife layed down next to me and I turned on the sound and then I  was paralyzed and just like the other said, I head a news station tune in . A man was doing sports . I could hear as if he was right next to me.. When I tuned on the sound it also tuned into a very high pitched frequency and then I heard a man speaking. What is this thing that we have discovered????????
I have kept this to myself since a kid. My mom didnt believe me or maybe she just couldnt understand either way I could tell it wasnt something I needed to keep telling people about after the way she made me feel when telling her. I feel like I can control the volume better now that Im older but I still at 36 years old hate going to bed at night by my self because when its quite It scares me cause its so clear and so clearly a radio and it wont stop or shut off. It's so strange I feel that some of the talk voices are trying to talk to me because of a change of depth in one voice. I've tryed to make myself listen and not get up and turn on the tv to hear something else. When I did it was happening real bad every night at bed the radio would come on thats no big deal anymore that happens daytime night time but its clearly a radio station but for like 3 nights it sounded like a man breaking thru static but like flipping around stations. I didnt want to hear nothing couldnt sleep. Well I ended up telling my boy friend what was happening and he was nice about it. That next night i was laying on his chest and was falling asleep when very loud and clear a mans voice said in my other ear not the ear to my mans chest the open one "I didnt mean to scare you" It was so loud to me I couldnt believe my man couldnt hear that .there was no radio sound to warn me. I jumped up very upset in disbelief of what he said as if he had heard me tell my boyfriend in our house earlyer that I was scared because of this being diff. than before. I didnt want to tell anyone about the radio cause I'm not a dumb *** it sounds crazy. I do want to know if it's medical, is this as crazy as it sounds to people who cant judge me. I dont want to be alone any more.
I have kept this to myself since a kid. My mom didnt believe me or maybe she just couldnt understand either way I could tell it wasnt something I needed to keep telling people about after the way she made me feel when telling her. I feel like I can control the volume better now that Im older but I still at 36 years old hate going to bed at night by my self because when its quite It scares me cause its so clear and so clearly a radio and it wont stop or shut off. It's so strange I feel that some of the talk voices are trying to talk to me because of a change of depth in one voice. I've tryed to make myself listen and not get up and turn on the tv to hear something else. When I did it was happening real bad every night at bed the radio would come on thats no big deal anymore that happens daytime night time but its clearly a radio station but for like 3 nights it sounded like a man breaking thru static but like flipping around stations. I didnt want to hear nothing couldnt sleep. Well I ended up telling my boy friend what was happening and he was nice about it. That next night i was laying on his chest and was falling asleep when very loud and clear a mans voice said in my other ear not the ear to my mans chest the open one "I didnt mean to scare you" It was so loud to me I couldnt believe my man couldnt hear that .there was no radio sound to warn me. I jumped up very upset in disbelief of what he said as if he had heard me tell my boyfriend in our house earlyer that I was scared because of this being diff. than before. I didnt want to tell anyone about the radio cause I'm not  dumb I know it sounds crazy. I do want to know if it's medical. I could relate to what you said about causing it or being able to tune in. When I was a kid it was just radio changing chan. but as Ive gotten older if I focus on what Im hearing sometimes its like someone breaking thru the static or trying to. I get scared I dont feel right then. I also get the high pitched noise and weather, sports, talk radio, music. One person said it could come from teeth fillings. Ive never had a filling never had anything metal or anything like that to blame it on. I'd love to know what this is. Iam glad to hear im not alone. I dont believe there's alot of radio heads out there cause this is the first I've heard others describe what goes on with me. Ive tryed asking others before. You ever hear a radio in your head playing songs and flipping chan? lol Someone needs to look at all of our brains maybe some wires got crossed some where lol!! You have a wonderful day Lis_Marie
Thank you! I would help in anyway possible. I've been like this for as far back as I can remember. A child and I'm 35 now. I'd love to be able to explain this. The older I get the harder it has become to just blow it off like no big deal. My good since and logical thinking are not able to make heads or tales of this. I know I'm not crazy but I also know there has always been a radio with many stations on it flipping around in my ear head. No one else can hear it. When I was a kid I'd ask where's that music coming from? I thought everyone I knew was just deaf. Then as I got older, I realized I could start to control it. It's very strange. It get's scary to me now at times. I feel like there's a wire crossed in my brain some where and it makes it easy for energy or sound waves radio waves something to come thru. Thank you again you have a wonderful day Lis_Marie
Hi, I just wanted to write down my experience. Every so often i start to hear a high pitched ringing in my ear and its like one ear goes deaf for a few seconds. I usually think nothing of it even though I've wondered why it happens. Today at work though I heard the ringing, my one ear went deaf and i heard what sounded like a radio station very clearly. I can't explain it as just mistaking some "white noise" for something else because it was so clear. I ignored it and shool my head a little and it went away after a second or two. Looking up why it happened led me here.
This has been happening to me the last few years, first I only heard a jazz station, playing a great tune, but I have a hard time staying with the music. I want the music to continue, but I think I wake up a little and loose it. Now I'm hearing radio announcers. On nights that this happens, I usually have a few night mares thrown in. Makes for a real nice sleeping experience..
This happened to me last Thursday when my BP may have caused the left side of my head to go numb. The CT scan showed no stroke damage and thankfully I am taking Xeralto or it could have been a stroke.
Since last Thursday I am totally deaf in the left ear and my tinitus is 400% worse. currently I am hearing multiple stations on top of each other.
I should also mention that I have two titanium plates. The first one was for my right ankle. After I was able to go back to work, I was walking through the big parking lot with my cell phone in my pocket and various vehicles would unlock as I walked by them. And now this radio head situation.