IIH and on dialysis for renal failure
Viw
hello, i am new to this forum and have a question. I am on haemodialysis beacuse of my kidney failure, and i also have ideopathic intracranial hypertesion for which i've got a LP shunt. my problem is i get a terrible uncontrolled headache during and after the dialysis, which remains there for 24 hours.......all the measures have been done by my renal doctors but the headache is still troubling me. i have noticed that the headache is bit tolerable if dialysis remove less then a litre fluid but that is rarely possible. what will be the best possible way of getting rid of the headache???? anyone with the same problem or anybody who knows about it????? any advice will be appriciated Thank u!!!!!!
I'm sorry to hear of your plight.
The most important thing to remember is to keep hydrated, especially before-hand. This is very important if you are very physically active. Ask your doctor about your fluid intake first, as some doctors prefer you to keep them very low.
Dehydration is a prime cause of headaches.
Some people take their medications as soon as treatment is over...clean blood means the medication has been "filtered out too" so to speak.
Again, ask your doctor about this.

I have heard people claim that their headaches have gone away when using
a non re-use dyalizer.
Others claim that taking tylenol about an hour before the procedure ends helps them.
I find that half of the doctors claim that dialysis does not cause headaches, while the other half says it can.

Hope this helps.