Neurology Community
IV treatment

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

IV treatment

Can anybody tell me please how much an IV treatment with solumedrol will cost.

My sister from outside US will visit me for 2 months and her insurance will not cover MS, therefore we would have to pay everything out from our poket in case she has a relapse.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Adriana
Tags: ms, insurance
The cost of IV solumedrol outside USA is cheap. In India it would cost approximately 100 to 500 rupees per sitting.
Which place do you belong?
Keep us posted if you have any queries.
Bye.
I just completed a 3 day IV therapy of solumedrol.  I live in the southeastern region of the US.  The total cost was $271.00  The home health nurse put in the IV, then showed my husband how to inject the medicine every 12 hours.  It was very simple.
Solumederal is quite expensive compared to oral steroids like predisone.  I have been on both and see little difference except for price and the needle.  I was at one point getting a solumederal injection every two weeks for 11 months.  I lost my hair, had my legs swell up, and couldn't sleep.  A doctor told me that there was no medical evidence that showed that solumederal helped an MS relapse and that he and his wife who had MS had opted not to take this course of therapy.

I am on medicare and my solumederal was dispensed at an IV lab in a hospital.  My share of the cost was 280 dollar per dose.  I have a porta cath and I don't know if this cost was different than if it had been given to me via an IV.  How often is she thinking she might need the steroid??  Her doctor might presribe prednisone for her to take while she is visiting.  Has she asked?

Hope any of this helps.