Neurology Expert Forum
If have atherosclerois, what is chance of altzheimer's?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Posted By kd on April 18, 1998 at 15:04:53:

I am a 46 yo female and may have pervasive atherosclerosis.  I am beginning to learn WHAT atherosclerosis is and it's capacity for damage (in a clinical sort of way) but don't really understand it's rate or what I can do about it.  I do know it can cause strokes and have had TIAs in the past.  However, I think my larger fear is of altzheimer's disease.  The few things I've read are mixed in whether the 2 fit hand in hand.  Do they?  What are the chances that because of the atherosclerosis, I will be disabled through altzheimer's disease?  Will dementia be inevitable anyway?  I have a young child.  I do not smoke or drink (never have) and do not have diabetes.  No known familial history.  Mild hyperlipidemia and moderate high bp.  Blood tests are largely good except the sed rate.
     I really appreciate your input.
kd