Neurology Expert Forum
If have atherosclerois, what is chance of altzheimer's?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

If have atherosclerois, what is chance of altzheimer's?

Posted By kd on April 18, 1998 at 15:04:53:

I am a 46 yo female and may have pervasive atherosclerosis.  I am beginning to learn WHAT atherosclerosis is and it's capacity for damage (in a clinical sort of way) but don't really understand it's rate or what I can do about it.  I do know it can cause strokes and have had TIAs in the past.  However, I think my larger fear is of altzheimer's disease.  The few things I've read are mixed in whether the 2 fit hand in hand.  Do they?  What are the chances that because of the atherosclerosis, I will be disabled through altzheimer's disease?  Will dementia be inevitable anyway?  I have a young child.  I do not smoke or drink (never have) and do not have diabetes.  No known familial history.  Mild hyperlipidemia and moderate high bp.  Blood tests are largely good except the sed rate.
     I really appreciate your input.
kd