Neurology Community
Incidental mega cisterna magna
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Incidental mega cisterna magna

My 5 year old had a MRI done a few weeks back and I was told that the MRI came back "normal". The MRI was done due to an abnormal EEG with a diagnosis of partial epilepsy. I got a copy of the MRI results in today and inder impressions it states:

There is no acute intracranial process
Incidental Mega Cisterna Manga.

I just want to know if anyone can tell me what that means?

Related Discussions
Hi there.  Mega cistern magna is a normal variant( intact cerebellum and vermis) but it may be associated with Dandy Walker syndrome, either full blown or a variant in which the vermis is absent. Mega cistern magna and arachnoid cysts show CSF characteristics on various MRI sequences. Though an arachnoid cyst demonstrates mass effect with an en bloc displacement of the cerebellum and vermis, normal variant mega cistern magna demonstrates no mass effect and the cerebellum and vermis remains intact. Arachnoid cysts are an incidental finding and most patients are asymptomatic. These must be differentiated from the more serious cystic intracranial and intraspinal tumors. In cases it is a large arachnoid cyst, serial scans should be done because these may enlarge over time and these patients are candidates for surgery. So keep in touch with your neurosurgeon for a constant vigil and follow up of the child. Take care.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...