Neurology Community
Increase in SUV levels in PET Scan.. for Neurofibromatosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My husband has Neurofibromatosis...and based on his pain level in his back his Neurologist decided to do a PET scan to see if any of his tumors on his spine were cancer.  In April of this year he had a PET scan done and we were told that it came back fine.  On Sept. 17 of this year my husband had a follow up and they told us that his scan was not fine...that there was increased level of Glucose in one area of his spine.  His doctor did not give me the SUV at that time.  The radiologist recommended a biopsy but his doctor did not want to do that because where the tumor is is not in a good spot.  His doctor wanted to wait 6 month to do anything to see if my husbands pain increased.  We were not comfortable waiting so we asked to have another PET scan.  He agreed.  So My husband got the PET scan on 10-27.  I called today to get the results and The nurse said that the spot has grown but the doctor is not concerned because he says the SUV increased because of it being a different machine.  She said he sent us a letter and some scientific info on it.  I don't understand though.  Why would he say it was okay to get another scan if the results could be ruined from having a scan 6 months ago?  I don't understand what this means now and the nurse didn't really answer my questions.  She said his SUV level is 2.2 this time.  But again I don't know what it was last time.. I just know she said that the spot has gotten bigger.  The doctor doesn't want to see us until Feb. Now but I am not comfortable with this. Can anyone explain this to me?  Thanks! Kristen