Neurology Community
Increase in white matter of the brain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Increase in white matter of the brain

I had an MRI , and there is an increase of white matter located in the brain.  Could you let me know what causes, and a cure if needed.
that depends....what exactly does your report say?  what matter could mean different things depending on where it is and what your symptoms are.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Welcome to the neurology forum of medhelp. Thanks for writing in. causes of increased white matter or periventricular white matter lesions on MRI. The causes could be normal senescent changes, pyridoxine deficiency, Multiple sclerosis, small strokes and as an accompaniment of migraines. Treatment would include controlling vascular risk factors like hypertension, pyridoxine supplement, migraine prevention etc. Consult a neurologist for investigating the causes of this MRI finding in the light of other symptoms. Management would be according to the cause. Take care.
  I AM A 49 YR. OLD FEMALE AND I WAS HAVING SOME PROBLEMS OF WAKING IN THE NIGHT AND NOT KNOWING WHERE I WAS ANS SOOME CONFUSION. I HAD A CT SCAN AND IT CAME BACK ABNORMAL, SO I JUST HAD A MRI TO HELP FIGURE OUT WHAT IS GOING ON. IS THIS SOMETHING I NEED TO BE WORRIED ABOUT OR IS IT SOMETHING I NEED TO JUST LET GO AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS? I'M ONE OF THESE PEOPLE THAT REALLY WORRY AND I FEEL LIKE THERE MAY ACTUALLY BE SOMETHING BAD WRONG, COULD YOU GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT ON WHAT THIS MAY BE AND IF ITS IMPORTANT THAT I FOLLOW ON THROUGH WITH THIS TO MAKE SURE IT'S NOTHING?
THANK YOU
GRACIE