Neurology Community
Indentation in top of head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Viewing 401-444 comments:
I have a thyroid condition and i also began feeling a dent in my head not to long ago. My husband looks at me like im crazy and i hate that. I get enough of that from my so called Endocrinologist! Anyways i believe that there is a connection between these dents and thyroid conditions. Research is based on statistics right?? So why don't doctors consider these stats?
ohhh this site is so helpful.  It is such a relief to find out that there are other people out there with the same as  51 year old me  ( had  been thinking all sorts - brain tumour cancer etc)

I have had a dent in my the top of my head left side now for the past 3 months and like many others in the forum before me wear my glasses on my head and thought this could be the cause of it.  However I stopped wearing them on my head and another small dent appeared. I started experiencing slight memory loss, low energy,pins and needles down my left arm, pressure headaches on the left side of my head and sometimes my left eye feels like it is popping out.  I also have a permanent ear ache in my left ear and  slight loss of vision in my left eye now and again. I have put on quite a lot of weight in the last few months and have also experienced a loss in libido.

I recently visited my optition and asked if the dents could be attributed to wearing glasses on my head. She took a look at the dents and said no.  After the examination she told me  the pressure in my left eye was  high and advised me to see a Doctor asap.  This I have done.  After telling him all my symptoms he stated that he had no Idea what the dents were,took my blood pressure reported that it was normal and has referred to me a Neurologist .  My appointment is early December so I will let you know the  outcome.
Just saw a possible link to my newly found dent, Yesterday I read the comment about the additive propylene glycol ,then today I was just researching the safeness of electronic cigarettes. I recently started smoking these as an alternative to cigarettes, The additive propylene glycol is the main source of the vapor...so just wondering how many of you also have smoked the e cigs and if there may be something to this...
Did you ever find out the cause of the dents in your scalp? I have Lyme Disease, and now have almost the exact problem you described. Would love to hear what you found out.
Hi there, Lyme IS in S.A. check out Dr. Nicola McFadzean she is an aussie lyme doctor that practices in San Diego, and Oz. Your symptoms sound a lot like mine prior to my lyme diagnosis.
I noticed a dent on the front left side of my skull. I have headphones that I listen to everyday at work and the padding sits almost exactly on the spot of the dent. No real diseases that I know of and I'm not sure of any vitamin deficiency. I wouldn't be surprised though of a calcium deficiency. I'm kind of lactose intolerant and the only real dairy I eat is string cheese.

I feel like I have had a headache on the top of my head for the past two days, but I feel like I'm crazy and imagining the headache. Any suggestions on what kind of doctor to go to? I think I have to get a referral before I can go to a specialist.
Please!!! let me know the outcome of your doctors appointment with this issue. I have the same issues going on right now. My scalp has been very sensitive to touch. So i was massaging it in the shower and found a deep indention on the left side of my head above my ear. In 2010 i had radiation for my hyperthyroid issue and now i am hypo. I am not sure how long i have had the indentation just found it due to sensitive issue. I am 28 years old as well and two small kids and this is scary! I was viewing the post on lyme disease and back about 4 years ago i found a tick behind my ear and after reviewing the medical page on this disease i am wondering now if maybe i had this diease the whole time..because right after i was diagnosed with hyperthyroid i started having major joint swelling and was also diagnosed with rh. Doctors stated that thyroid issue was due to pregnancy never was tested for lyme disease. Making doctors appt today to be checked to clear that but please let me know what you found out
I think this message board goes way back before e-cigs were around. I think some of us have different reasons for our dents and  Like I've said several times before my dents went away after I did several things: started eating better, added vitamins, stopped wearing my reading and sunglasses on my head. Over this past summer I got brave and started putting my glasses on top of my head again, it's just easier.....my dents started appearing again. So, I stopped....my dents stopped. Some people probably thing we are crazy, none of my doctors think it's anything and do not take me serious. last year I had a heart issue arise from a bad reaction from a medication that has messed up my heart, long story short....my blood pressure shot up so high, I had every test u can think of to make sure no damage was done to my heart, head, lungs....strokes, blood clots, etc. everything came out normal. So, I have learned to live with my dents that come and go and know there was no damage seen on my tests done on my head.
just a quick update still waiting to go and see the neurologist.  However my doctor wanted to keep and "eye on me" in the meantime and i have now had a shed load of blood tests - included was vitamin deficiencies and thyroyd all of which are clear.   I am still getting headaches on my left side and my vision goes blarred now and again.   I am controlling the headaches with naproxen and paracetamol but htey are becoming less effective.  I have changed my diet to see if this helps
Hi everyone,

Just came to chuck something out here. I'm 16, but I also have the same problem. A couple of months ago, I started to notice an indentation in my head on both sides just opposite the very middle of the top of my head, but the right side was deeper. Now, I just realized that about that same point in time, I also purchased a new set of headphones, which I noticed were really hurting the top of my head, even though they were barely touching it, and were not pressing down on it at all. I could not figure out why I was getting such pain, but slowly it subsided, and has now completely diminished, however, this is when I noticed the dents. I have also noticed that the dents noticeably fill when I do not use my headphones for an increased period of time. Not sure if I'm just spitballing here, but it seems too perfect timing-wise for it to be coincidence, which is why I will be trying a day or so of not using these headphones.
I just turned 43 & also have severe dents along the top of my head. The one on the right side of my head is much more severe and is almost 2 inches long & deep enough for the side of my pinky to easily fit in. Like many of the posts I have worn sunglasses on the top of my head for years and the nose rests are in the area of my dents. I also noticed I have a dent in the bone behind my ear where the arm of my sunglasses rest.
   I went to a top rated head specialist/reconstructive plastic surgeon today. He never saw or heard of anything like it. I did do some research prior to my visit & also saw calcium deficiency as a possible cause. I informed him of the possible calcium deficiency, the fact I wear sunglasses all the time on top of my head, Vitamin A toxicity, I am an early bird & began menopause a couple of years ago, and even mentioned recent issues I have had with ear infections. He appreciated that I did research (although there are not that many cases of these symptoms) &ordered blood work ( Metabolic Panel & Calcium) & full skull x-rays. I did my blood work today & will go in the beginning of next week to get my full scale skull x-rays.
  I just tonight found this thread & feel much better that I am not alone. From all the research I have done this is not very common so aren't we special?! I will update when I get my results back!
yes I can tell you because of the 5 indentations on my skull. This did not happen until my hyperthyroid and major depression hit me full blown. The both pretty much came at the same time. With a spinal injury as well, the doctors say it is related to major depression and not sure about the hyperthyroid. Mine has been goind on for 7 years now and feel I am in deep trouble with my anxiety going into the 10 level sometimes. Please let me know if you find out anything for me. I know most of my brain cells have gone to sleep from the major depression and other health related issues. Good Luck..  
yes I can tell you because of the 5 indentations on my skull. This did not happen until my hyperthyroid and major depression hit me full blown. The both pretty much came at the same time. With a spinal injury as well, the doctors say it is related to major depression and not sure about the hyperthyroid. Mine has been goind on for 7 years now and feel I am in deep trouble with my anxiety going into the 10 level sometimes. Please let me know if you find out anything for me. I know most of my brain cells have gone to sleep from the major depression and other health related issues. Please keep in mind my blood work always comes back ok in all area's except the try's  Good Luck..  
I am 68 and your head sounds identical to mine. Almost a reptilian look, and it fills up overnight (though not completely) and by 9/10 pm my whole pinky finger can fit along both sides.
Waiting for MRI results, Doc not worried at all.
Thanks for your post
I have noticed the same ridge running along the top of my head on both sides - the left side has a deeper ridge than the right. I have had a lot of intense pressure at the of of my head earlier this fall - sometimes feeling like I was upside down. This all started about four months ago.

Has anyone noticed a connection with spiritual enlightenment and the pineal gland?
I want you to go &  join a group on Facebook called Got endorphins LDN? but all capital letters When you do the search, i take LDN for my fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue I also found a dent in my top of my head by my hairline too. LDN and iodine protocol pretty much help to me,  Please come join and learn about this treatment for autoimmune and MS and fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue etc.
Hi guys,
Guess what? I have one too.
I banged my head on the left side quite hard 10 days ago, went to A&E a few days later as I was getting severe head aches and the doctor said it was nothing to worry about, anyway yesterday when examining my head I found a dint in my head on the right hand side along the hairline, there is also a smaller one on the left hand side in the same area but I have not got a clue where it has come from. The one on the right hand side feels sensitive but I'm not sure if this is because I've been playing with it.
I've been feeling anxious over other health issues recently so I'm not sure if this has been a factor and I have also been trying to eat vegetarian recently so I may be lacking in vit D / calcium too, which all seem to be common possible causes.
Anyway this is weird but thanks to this post looks like I don't have much to worry about and I'm not entirely alone.
I have a doctor's appointment on Monday so I will mention it then.
Interesting read three days ago I discovered a soft spot on the top of my head where the part would fall, it doesn't hurt when pressed, but I also have been having issue with hay fever (lots of sneezing) recently which is a new thing to me. Getting very tired headachy and my ears seem off... Like pressure, I also sometimes find it hard to focus before I realise it I'm in a blank stare. I'm 30 this year and have never had any medical issues I live in NZ, hopefully we can all find out what this anomaly is. Thanks
Well it seems we are all in good company.  I found my indentation on the left side of my part about a month ago. I just saw my dr. 2 weeks ago and she didn't seem too worried. Well, as of earlier today I have found my second indentation on the right side of my middle part. I am a diabetic with Neuropathy in my feet and I am anemic. I have recently lost 16 pds. the first 10 without really trying. This is starting to make me worried.
Hey, guys.  Maybe a partial breakthrough, at least for the thyroid sufferers.  I think I may have commented before.  But I definitely have read this forum before and want to come back to update. I have had hypothyroidism since I was 14.  I got a really good doctor recently after years of terrible ones.  I showed him the dents, and he immediately ordered a bone density, as well as gut flora exam.  Both came back deficient.  I now have to be on a very strict, no grain, no milk diet until the symptoms of the gut flora deficiency goes away.  Hope this helps, ciao.
I am reading all stories that align with my concerns about my own skull dents, but I see no "answers" - To those who have dents, top of the head, one side of the ridge or the other -- what was the conclusion?? What the dr. say? what did an MRI indicate?  Is this related to Vitamin D deficiencies??   I did hit the top of my head really hard in Oct 2013, and wondering if maybe I made the dent… I'm worried.
I purchased new headphones about two months age and noticed indentations on both sides of my scalp about a month later. Doctored ordered x-ray was normal. My 'retro style' headphones have small pads on each side. After reading your post I put on my headphones and looked in the mirror. The indentations exactly corresponded to the location of the pads. Pressure, even light pressure, from an external device, such as headphones, can indeed form indentation of the skull. I will leave a post to see if the indentations resolves. I'm confident that pressure in at least one cause of this puzzle.

I should note that I often wear my headphones for 6 hours or more. Still, I'm surprised the scalp, or skull, is that fragile. Thanks Snoppy32 for your original and helpful post.
I just found this website and have been reading your post. I know it's been awhile since your last post but I would really appreciate knowing how you are and what you have found out. Please update as soon as you can. I hope all is well with you!
Have either of you found anything out? as I said a couple years ago, after I stopped wearing my glasses and sunglasses on my head, taking vitamins and eating healthier, my dents vanished. I wore glasses on my head constantly. My thyroid has been tested, CT scan, MRI, various other tests, all negative. Seems all doctors say the same thing: they've never seen anything like it. I never fell, or bumped my head. I noticed mine in my late 30's, I do my hair everyday so I would have noticed them (on opposite sides of my hair line) - but they suddenly just appeared one day. It still concerns me, even though they've vanished.
I freaked out when i notice this big dent on the top of my head. It runs from my
front of my head to my crown, like 4 to 5 inches along my head. So I see that I am not the only one to have it. what a relief!!!!!!. What causes this? I never noticed it till about 3 weeks ago.

Mencinas.
no one really has came back with answers. I also freaked out a few years ago, as I was sitting on the couch talking to my husband and ran my hand across the top of my head and felt mine, he asked if I had bumped my head recently. I had not! A few days later I noticed another one on the other side of my head. I was so scared, thinking my skull was caving in. I went to my family doctor and he didn't take it serious and acted as tho it had been there since I was a child, I wash, blow dry and straighten my hair daily and know that they WERE NOT THERE! I started doing research and came across this, I never drank milk or took vitamins. my mother and grandmother both have/had osteoporosis, so I thought maybe my bones were weakening and I needed to start taking care of them. I started taking vitamins, adding fruits and veggies in my diet (still not much into milk) then I realized I wore my regular glasses and sunglasses on my head all day, as soon as I stopped that a long with my diet changes, they went away. They've been gone for over a year. I still check for them all the time. I did suffer migraines my whole life and suffer one of those one in a million heart defects from the med and started seeing a new family doctor and he has ran so many tests on me and I have to thyroid issues, no brain tumors, or anything like that. So, at least my new doctor put me at ease on any of that. I do know it was very scary!!!
I meant to say I have NO thyroid issues
Imm12 and I can dent my own head by pushing my finger on it I'm scared :,(

That's good that u have no thyroid issues
I have just noticed i have two dents in my head now, just like some of the others they start right in line with my inner eyes.  Have no idea why either. Crazy
I am 51 y.o female. First off let me say that almost everyone has a Vit. D deficiency. I too have a dent in the crown of my head. I have been having severe neck pain and headaches for the last mo. since I have noticed this indentation. I can't believe how common this is, and thought I would have a hard time finding something on the net! Glad to know I'm not just "crazy!"
I just called my doctor with the skull depressions - is there no one who can give an explanation for this happenning
You are definitely not crazy, what is crazy is- no one can ever truly figure out WHY we have the dents! With technology today, you would think they could figure it out. I believe that not enough of us have went to the same doctor and that they believe that we are crazy and it's been there from childhood, or falls or accidents. They don't believe that they've just suddenly appeared out of nowhere.
I have just discovered the indented lines are formed due to infection of viruses and bacteria. This infection resulted because our immune system is weak due to whatever reasons including vitamin deficiency. Brain infection can come from vector borne diseases like lyme and mosquito encephalitis. When our body immunity is weak, viruses, bacteria and parasites flourish and so no point taking vitamins first because these creatures will flourish more with the vitamins. The key is to get rid of these creatures and build our immune system with proper exercise and food and find a natural therapy to get rid of the viruses, bacteria and parasites. Getting rid of our allergies will also help improve our immunity. For the last few years, my health was bad and I was near to death. I had a number of indented lines on my skull. I spent over $100k trying to find answers and also attended therapy courses. Now my skull lines have decreased and my overall health is OK. Just remember that you need a total approach to solve health issues and it is normally not just one way and definitely not a fall during childhood and now the lines beginning to appear.
thank you for your comment, I have been dent free for quite awhile now. I do live a healthier life style now. I have went thru some unexpected illnesses throughout the past 10 years of my life where I am sure my immune system was at it's lowest. What is sad is, where I come from the doctors want to tell me that my dents were always there and didn't take any time to figure it out. I pretty much healed them on my own. I hope everyone finds comfort and answers!! Thank you Rantan
Glad to hear of your prognosis, Tswolf!!

After reading yours it occurred to me that I haven't felt the top of my head in a very long time. Much to my surprise, my dent is completely gone!! I never realized this. So now I give you double thanks for sharing your story. I originally wrote my 1st response years ago. And I read all new posts.

I now juice a lotta fresh fruit and fresh veggies AND I consume a lotta fresh Green Smoothies. Hmmmm. . .
I just found an indention 10 minutes ago. I read about 20 comments and can't read anymore, making me scared. I had a child 4 years ago and had been taking Vit D and calcium until this year. The last few weeks I haven't been eating well, skipping meals. I am 41. I have been having mild headaches lately, haven't noticed any other symptoms.
Wow thank you everyone...I have been worried about the dents in my skull too! After reading everyone's comments I put my glasses on my head...where I wear them 75% of the time and lo and behold !!! the nose pieces fit exactly into the dents in my head. Thank you for bringing that possibility to my attention. Saved me from wasting my time at the Dr.'s and from having expensive and dangerous testing done.
Hi Rantan, thank you so much for sharing your experience and advice. May I ask what natural therapies you tried? I'm guessing you meant things such as herbal tinctures?

TO EVERYONE & ANYONE,

I've been following this thread for awhile, today I joined medhelp so I could add my experience with the same exact thing...

I found my indent over a year ago. I had a CT scan, they did find a small "irregularity" in my skull exactly where my indent is. Oh and by the way, I don't just have an indent, to the right of it, my skull or whatever is happening there is higher like miniature speed hump.

If I press on it, even lightly, it doesn't cause pain but it does start sensations that do not feel right.

I saw a neurologist, he gave me the all clear thank goodness.

I asked, so what about the finding with my skull? At first he pretended to know what I was talking about so I sat there for a moment as he pretended to find the report he claimed to have read.

Eventually... I passed him my copy of the report. As he read it, I could tell that was his first time reading it, aye... When he got to the finding in my skull he let out a loud "OHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!"

He only read the CT scan, not the written report by the radiologist. Thankfully, he admitted that the skull is right out of his expertise so he couldn't help me there.

He did a full 360 in his attitude when he realized I have anxiety. My neurologist wasn't professional or compassionate. I almost walked out when he made the nasty switch, thankfully I didn't as that was before we cleared the fact that he hadn't gone over the report. I would of assumed he read that and it was all ok.

Please prepare yourself for this kind of treatment, whether or not you have anxiety. We're investigating an indent in our skull. Whether it's bone or something else, lets face it, it does sound weird and the common response will be, that you've lost your marbles. Or, who knows the outline of their skull, how are you so sure it's changed and all sorts of other rather ignorant things. Be strong guys and know you've got my full sympathy and understanding.

The second I stumbled across my indent, I jump out of my seat due to sheer shock. I went over it two more times, hoping it wasn't so. Then I asked my husband to feel the indent and his eyes went huge, it isn't just a slight change in my skull, it is a bold change. I understand it could be various things, maybe even something new that no one has begun any research in. But upon discovering it whoa! What a shock.

But oh is it rough to see professionals or even loved ones not take you seriously. So over a year on, I'm still trying to find my way. As doctors aren't listening to me so I have to keep changing doctors. Finally one is listening to me even though she doesn't know what's happening, it's a start.

I've had 2 different loads of blood tests done, all good. In fact, I'm quite healthy. So it's even more confusing. I don't have anxiety constantly, I go through phases of it.

So please don't think a neurologist is all you need. Even if they find something, your health in some way was failing, and that's the core root we need to discover, understand and heal.

I tried letting it go. Nice dream... Since discovering my indent, the following has also sprung up...

1. My long and short term memory are bad and on occasion they get worse, a few times I've experienced complete blanks, those moments are scary. Thankfully they're rare.

2. My ears still randomly hurt and make the loudest piercing sounds. Yet there's never an infection.

3. My orthostatic hypotension is constant, although my intense vertigo did go away.

4. My hands tremble sometimes. Occasionally my forefinger trembles on it's own.

5. My postures can feel awkward, sort of robotic I guess, don't know if I also look awkward. If I do, no one is mentioning anything. I wish they would... If it is so.

6. Sometimes I can't find the words I want to say or type. I say the wrong word but it's sort of similar to what I did mean to say so you still understand me even though it's incorrect. Sometimes I say something that is a mixture of actual words or worse, what I say is total nonsense.

7. I can be slow in my thinking, this is the worst part. I'm not my normal sharp self. Something I can't quite explain, dropped. Again, it's really hard to explain. What I can say is I definitely don't feel like myself. I keep waiting to snap out of it, it's not happening.

8. My ability to explain things can be terrible. Sometimes for a simple question. I have to fight just to access some part of the answer. So strange and frustrating.

9. I'm considering this also might be related to my teeth, I did have my first root canal 2 years ago and that's my earliest memory of my head throbbing as if a heart were in there.

As you can imagine, I have been keeping a much healthier lifestyle, not that I was terrible before. It helped with the headaches but I still feel many other things such as...

- Strange, random head pains (they're not headaches) that happen in various spots. The temples, few places at the back near the top, on the sides, usually one spot gets hit at a time then there be a gap and it will hit one of the other regular spots. I think... Also I feel fluid or something move around slowly but surely.

- My eyesight started getting blurry I swear it was sudden, so now I have glasses. That I need to wear often, without them I feel blind even though my lens prescription is the second lowest number. What on Earth is going on.

- The skin on my face went from great to poor.

- Often I feel a strange pull sensation on the back of my head, not where my indent is.

- If I move my hair a certain way, there's another pain that is not a headache nor like the pain I described earlier. It's in a league of it's own.

Ok... That's about it for now.

Oh I saw a chiropractor he did his magical work on me and did cause my orthostatic hypotension to totally disappear for a few days, something I thought I'd never be free of even for a second. So there's a huge pressure relief guys, so maybe check out a chiropractor if the pressure builds too high whilst you sort this out. He thinks I've hurt a ligament around my head. From everything I've heard this feels the closet to what could be apart of what is going on. Only going by my instinct that is.

I will be reporting back here when I learn more.

Good luck everyone.
Me too.
i am on this site because i was seeing if anyone else has a dent that suddenly seemed to show up on their head.  mine seems to be itchy.  not noticible visually but i can feel the dent.  i have not hit my head.  i thought it may be because i park my reading glasses on the top of my head all the time, but really to not think that could be the case.  tell me what you have discovered about dents people find in their heads.  thanks.
I have exactly the same thing.  However I exposed to black mold for years and methane gas, without knowing it till just recently
I also discovered an indentation on my crown, roughly 20mm in dia, over a year ago. At the time, I figured it was just my natural shape and that I must have missed it during my teens. Nope.

The theory that it is caused due to a vitamin D deficiency seems to be accurate in my case. I spent about 45 mins in the sun over the weekend, which is, of course, a great source of vitamin D. My hair is shaven and I definitely felt sunburnt the following day. The indentation had also vanished completely!

Hope this helps.
I'm 43 years old, pretty healthy, non-smoker, mother of two boys.  I started having headaches about 5 months ago.  Sometimes they feel like sinus headaches, sometimes like light stabbing around my skull.  Other symptoms include pressure/pain/sounds in my ears and behind them and more recently, a few new dents in my skull.  I have a few around the crown and two small ones around the hairline.  They are tender to the touch.  No pain med helps.  I've had a brain MRI, CT-scan of the sinuses and a neck MRI done.  I have slight bulging disks (c4 and c5) on my neck, but everything else is normal.  I've seen many doctors and they tend to ignore the skull dent comment.  My bloodwork is normal.  Vitamin D wasn't checked this last time, but was a little low last time, a couple of years ago.  I have taken over the counter supplements before.  I don't drink a ton of water, but I really never have.  I do drink a bit too much diet soda, probably two cans a day.  I'm trying to cut back. Oh, my right arm seems a bit weak, but that may be due to the bulging neck disk.  I do hope all this goes away soon!  I'm trying magnesium supplements and more water next.  Will keep everyone posted.
I will appreciate  if you keep me up to date about your symptoms . Thanks
I have many of the symptoms you have. I found a dent on top of my head almost midline last year which is now deeper, also have a small one now on other side. Presently waiting on dr feedback. I have had M.E for 19yrs which was triggered by 2 different viruses at that time. Vitamin D was low few years back, will most probably have bloods redone again soon. Most symptoms were pre-dent find
That was like reading a description of my own symptoms from start to finish! Even the eyesight and inability to think straight, more than the usual befuddled state I get in because of the chaos around m. So reassuring Im not alone and really hope we all find solutions to this strange phenomena ! I also get throbbing behind the ears, even when not wearing my glasses, and a shooting pain along my jaw. Very disconcertingly!
Viewing 401-444 comments: