Neurology Community
Inderal v. Lisinopril for essential tremor

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am a professional violinist and recently developed an essential tremor in my bow arm which interferes greatly with my playing. My neurologist tried primidone but it has helped only a little. I asked if he could put me on Inderal which I understand can help with essential tremor.

However -- the doctor pointed out that I am already on lisinopril (for hypertension) which, he claimed, ALSO is effective in treating essential tremor.

So the  upshot was that according to him, there was 'no point' in substituting Inderal for the Lisinopril I'm already taking since Lisinopril is JUST AS EFFECTIVE in treating essential tremor as Inderal.

But is this right?? I've read about lisinopril and see no mention whatsoever of its being helpful for essential tremor (Of course I know it's effective for high blood pressure)
Hi, I can't comment on the Lisinopril.  However, I've been taking Inderal for the last 28 years for essential tremor.  It works very well and I have no side effects.  I take 160 mgs a day in the morning.

Good luck with the shakes.

Chirley
Hey, thanks arach, I think I'd best be looking for a new neurologist
Can you please post if you try anything else for your tremors that helps.  Our son was diagnosed last year with Essential Tremors after 4 years of misdiagnoses.  He plays clarinet and his tremors are severe in his hands especially his left.  As you can imagine being a musician yourself having tremors especially the 4 years he wasn't diagnosed causes for a lot of teasing and trama.  His self confidence and hopes and dreams for scholarships in music no longer exist he just plays the best he can knowing he will get teased even put down by one band director and he know every year for solo and ensemble contest that he will be told jto ust play in front of more people so you won't shake so bad.   He is on 160 mg of Inderal also and it helps some but not enough.  Please let me know if you find anything that helps you.  Thanks,  Sherri