Neurology Community
Infant seizures

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Infant seizures

My daughter had her first seizure at 10 months old. Before going to bed the evening prior to the seizure she seemed to be coming down with a cold. She was restless all night and in the middle of the night I picked her up and she felt really hot. I immediately gave her some Tylenol. I apparently didn't give her the correct dose (being a first time Mom, and this being her first time being sick I only knew to give her the dosage that was recommended when she was 2 months old). I tried to put her back down to bed and she continued to stay restless unless I was holding her. She just felt so hot so I decided to put a cool rag on her head. She kept pushing it away, so I decided to nurse her thinking that would help her fall asleep. While I was nursing her her body jerked 3 times. This didn't seem normal to me so I turned her so I could look at her and she was just staring at me like she was confused and then her whole body went limp, and got really heavy. The time was 4:45 am when it happened and she came out of this right before the Ambulance showed up around 5:00. Does this sound like a febrile seizure? The ambulance checked her temp and it was almost 104.

Just recently at 16 months she was playing and running around as usual. She came over to me and I kissed her forehead. She felt very hot so I decided to check her temperature. It was 102.4. I gave her some Motrin and then 6 hours later I gave her some tylenol. This was at 9PM. At 1:20am I woke up and felt her and she didn't feel as hot so instead of alternating with the Motrin I decided to give her the Tylenol again. I woke up at 5:40 and gave her the Motrin, she felt really hot this time. I checked her temp with the ear thermometer and it read 102.4 so I decided to try and cool her down with a damp cloth. After doing this I was carrying her back to her room in the dark and I could feel her whole body jerk, she threw up. I turned on the light to the microwave and I already knew what was happening. I ran into my room and laid her on her left side. Her body was slightly twitching and her eyes were just staring off into space. This didn't last too long, not like the first one. Then while we were talking to the 911 dispatcher my daughter was looking all around like she was confused and then she just started staring off into space again. Were these seizures as well? Our doctor referred us to a peds neurologist. The problem is we went the other day (it is 3 hours away so it is 6 hours roundtrip ).and they tried to do an EEG with our 16 month old who was wide awake and hungry. Of course she wasn't going to sit still. They were able to get about 12 minutes in but we found out today the results weren't very good because she moved to much. They want us to come back again, wake up at 4 am give her drugs to put her out and do the test again and then drive back a 3rd time to get the results. I really don't think there is anything wrong with my daughter. I feel that the seizures occured due to high fever. My father had febrile seizures as did I. I know it runs in the family. I don't like putting her through all of this and really feel it is unneccessary. Do you think that the EEG will really give me any information that will be helpful. I personally would like to save a trip of driving and wait this out a little longer. What is your opinion and what do you recommend?
Hi missy,

I can understand how you feel. In all probabilty your daughter is having febrile seizures but it's always advisable to get an EEG done. You should go ahead and get it done. More importantly, it will help reduce your anxiety.
Thanks for the reply. I am curious are you a Doctor? I noticed you replied to other people as well. If you are not a Doctor you sure seem like one, you know a lot about everything.