Neurology Community
Inhibiting factors in GBS recovery?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Inhibiting factors in GBS recovery?

I am a 25 years old, and was diagnosed with GBS in mid june. Prior to my illness i was a competitive bodybuilder. Within 4 days of the first symptoms appearing which was numbness of my right foot, i was hospitalized, at the time of my hospitalization the symptoms had progressed to the point that i could no longer walk. Within 3 days of IVIG treatment, i was able to walk again with assistance and within 5 days i was discharged and able to walk totally on my own. I began physical and occupational therapy 2 days after my release from the hospital. Although i could walk without assistance i was very weak, and lost almost all fine motor function in my hands (prior to being sick i was also a skilled illustrator and guitar player). Within a week i gained back the ability to play guitar, and within about 4 weeks i gained back the ability to draw normally again. My grip strength went from 43psi to 135psi in less than 5 weeks and i was discharged from all therapies the last thursday of july. I was also told I could return to the gym the following monday which i have.

My question however is, now that i am back at the gym of course i am pacing myself back up to speed, but what i wanted to know, is there any factors that may inhibit me from getting stronger and growing as i normally would working out. I am always willing to give 110% in effort to do what i need to in life, as long as i am getting back what i put into something. Its weighing down on my mind however that i am going to put 100% effort into getting myself back to the shape i was in prior to being sick, and not get results back at the rate i put them in due to either lack of nerve supply or any other factor related to the disease.

I do realize that my question may be alittle silly, but as a very active person prior to being sick, this illness had knocked me right on my face. I just want to get back to my life the way it was before i was sick.