Neurology Community
Inner Shaking/Tremblin

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Inner Shaking/Tremblin

This may be an odd question -- I first noticed this a couple of years ago, but seems to have gotten stronger.  When I lie down in bed at night, it feels like I´m rocking/trembling back and forth, as if the bed was shaking.  The feeling seems to stem from my torso area, and lasts pretty much as long as I´m lying on my back.  Now I´ve also noticed this when I sit down in a chair, expecially if I´ve been walking around for a little while.  It basically feels like there is a small earthquake going on whenever I lie or sit down.  I have some lower back problems including SI-joint disfunction but I don´t know if this has anything to do with it.  

It didn´t used to bother me but now I DO live in an earthquake-prone country, and feeling my bed or chair is constantly trembling is not a fun feeling.  It also makes it harder to know when an actual tremor is taking place.

Is this anything I should be concerned about? Thank you.
Well I'd be interested to find out what it is. I too have felt like the bed is moving when I'm laying down. It feels like everything is rocking from side to side or like I'm in a boat in turbulent water. Mine doesn't happen as often as yours, only once in a while, and seems to stem from my head. I haven't really thought about it lately. Interesting topic though!
Thanks for responding! I´m glad to know I´m not the only one.  Last night was particularly aweful as I woke up with the sensation and then couldn´t get back to sleep because of it.  I kept thinking that we must be going to have an earthquake here, and having to remind myself it was just me.  But yes, anyone with any ideas about what this might be, your comments would be greatly appreciated.
I've been wondering if it is an inner ear thing. Have you ever had your ears checked? I would but I have a stupid doctor that just looks at them and says they're fine. I have to wait until I can get a new one. Good luck!
Hmm, that´s a good idea.  Maybe I´ll check that out.  Thanks for the suggestion!
When you feel the shaking I think you should take your pulse. I was having the same thing happen and started taking my pulse and it was 120, very high. It would wake my up and it felt like internal shaking.
I have the same sensations. I will be sitting in my chair or lying in bed and I will feel a tremble and think that an earthquake just occurred, but there will be no other indications of an actual quake, like moving objects or the fan pull chain swinging. I also have quick feelings as if I was falling and would suddenly jerk out of my sleep, or even just sitting, like I was jolted from a fall.

It just happened again and my first thing was to check the local quake website, since I am in California, but there was nothing in my area, so I decided to look it up online. I do not know what causes it, but it happens to me a lot. I also get the full body static buzzy feeling not long after it happens, which I am actually feeling right now from my back to my head all the way down through my arms and legs.

If anyone knows what the condition is, please post it.

Thank you.
I also have very similar symptoms. Please let me know if yours were ever diagnosed. Very rarely do I find a match of my issues. Please let me know what helped.
I also have had them, even just sitting and resting...like they are inside and outside my body. Its like a small earthqquake tremored the town and I say "did you feel that" and realize its on me, in me or of me. I am trusting the Lord to figure it out and heal me or send me to the right doctors. I am having an EEG and CTa done in two and a half weeks, hoping all is well. Please share any results and other important info
I have been having same symptoms. Mine started about 4 weeks ago and are constant throughout the day and night. Doctors are saying anxiety because my heart checks out fine. I am a nurse, and I know it's not anxiety and think it's quite a warning sign that my body is giving me but because I'm only 34 that is what doctors want to blame. I'm glad to see wvwriter007 is getting taken seriously and is getting checked out. Would really appreciate if you would share your results with us.
If anyone has any new updates, please share. As soon as my results are back from the EEG and the CTA I will share but convincing everyone it is NOT anxiety and I physically feel it in  my body is a job and a half....not sure why but it is. In the meantime, I will include all of you in my prayers because God can heal what no man can.
i was googling for answers right now with what im having as well, it thought i'm having some hallucinations but then reading ur comments, made me feel atleast at ease that this is not something an usual, but still i am very eager to know what causes the shakes.
Btw, i have been diagnosed with gallstones a few months ago, and i a scheduled for operation on oct . I asked the same question to my gastro dr but then i dnt think he thinks that it is connected w/ his diagnosis. . How ever my mom as a nurse told me this has something to do with my ear. I really need answers. It is still a question.
It's been many years now since you wrote about these "earthquake-like" tremors inside you ... I've been experiencing the exact same thing now for about five months. People think I'm crazy so I try to not even acknowledge what feels like little elves behind the couch or under the bed punching on my back and rear end. Happens all the time now....what the heck is it? Early Parkinson's?
I have sometimes tremor, shaking or weakness due to muscular dystonia (a neurological disease, a sister of parkinsonism). A new symptom for me was vertigo in last spring. It results from some precipitate in the inner ear.
Hello Everyone,
I had forgotten about this post until ngerard posted an update.  I actually found a solution after many years of looking.  Several years ago I got VERY sick and was diagnosed with a wheat gluten sensitivity (they haven't been able to confirm or rule out Celiac Disease).  When I stopped eating wheat gluten, these tremors went away.  Now if I ever have gluten, this trembling, as well as foggy headedness and memory problems are one of my first symptoms.  

It is of note that gluten, as an inflammatory substance, can worsen other neurological, inflammatory, and auto-immune disorders even in people who do not have Celiac Disease.  I am not advocating a gluten-free diet for everyone by any means. Even for me there may be something else beneath all this, but for the moment this is the answer we found.