Insomnia, Neurological Symptoms
Hi, I've been having terrible insomnia and other symptoms. Insomnia started as middle insomnia in mid 2012 and has gotten worse since. In January 2013 I woke up with vertigo that lasted just a few minutes. I have always had mild tinnitus (both ears), but it's worse since I haven't been sleeping. By February and March I was getting about two hours a night. Also, my hands fall asleep pretty easy, I have random mild tingling in both hands and feet, and I have muscle twitches all over. In May I had trouble dorsiflexing my right foot for a few hours, the inside and top of that foot was numb. I could dorsiflex it without weight only. It was fine by morning. My blood work in January was all normal except my vitamin D (8). More blood work in April, all normal except albumin a point high, vitamin D normal now. I've seen a neurologist who has done an EEG on me, which was normal, and I've scheduled an MRI and sleep study. He also put me on low dose Amitriptyline for sleep, which has helped a little. I've also tried Ambien, and Restoril, they both worked for a week and then just gave me more rebound insomnia/anxiety. Tryptophan at night was working ok for me, but I stopped it with the Amitriptyline Rx. I know a lot of my symptoms are also symptoms of stress/anxiety, but the vertigo and foot thing have me thinking maybe MS, which is why I asked for the MRI. In general, I feel kind of sleep deprived and beat up, and I guess I would just be interested in hearing other peoples thoughts. Thank you.
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possible causes that may need to be considered include stress/ anxiety, metabolic issues, hormonal/ endocrine causes, low blood sugar, low blood pressure, connective tissue disorders, a few auto-immune conditions, neurological causes, medication side effect etc. The symptoms described are not specific for MS, though it could be a rare possibility. I would suggest a detailed evaluation by an internist initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!