Neurology Community
Is Cymbalta safe to use?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Is Cymbalta safe to use?

I have recently started on cymbalta for PTSD and anxiety. I took two weeks at 30mg and now have been taking 60mg for almost two weeks although it seems to be helping me mentally I now have numbness in each of my fingers on both hands? Initially, my hands hurt bad and my fingers were swollen and felt like both hands had fallen asleep but couldnt wake up for like three days. That was last week though, now and since then, I can't feel with the tips of them and they are continuously numb, but not painful.  My MD doesn't think this medication is the cause of this, I do have hx of carpel tunnel but this numbness is completely new and unlike my carpel symptoms.
I was told not to quite taking it but i can't stand these fingers like this! You should also know that I currently see a chiropractor quite often that feels it is a side effect of cymbalta could you please advise me very quickly I pray this isn't permenant.
Thank you,
Denise
Avatar n tn
Hi, this drug is not related with kind of symptoms you are having. For more  information visit http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/cymbalta_ad.htm. Please get some blood tests for calcium and vitamin B levels.
Avatar n tn
My husband just started taking Cymbalta and is experiencing the same thing you are with swollen hands and fingers and numbness.  It was so painful that we took him to the emergency clinic!  
I have been on Cymbalta for 2 years and now take 60mg. I've never felt the symptoms that you describe. I have carpal tunnel also.  My carpal tunnel worsened over a period of 2 years, as found on a nerve conduction test. It could be a considence that the symptoms came up around the time you started Cymbalta.  I also see a chiropractor that encouraged me to get off of all "medications", but this is consistent with what chiropractors believe.  Chiropractors generally advocate a "holistic" approach to healing the body, including taking herbal supplements and getting adjustments.  I didn't stop taking Cymbalta even though he suggested it.  I have a lot of medical problems and continue to take what my doctors have prescribed.  This does not mean that Cymbalta can't cause your symptoms, but it has not happened to me during the past 2  years.  Best Wishes.